Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.24143°N / 120.4638°W
Additional Information County: Placer County
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8014 ft / 2443 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

South Face of Snow MountainSouth Face of Snow Mountain, from Soda Springs Road. August 2007



Snow Mountain is a relatively high, broad, and remote summit located in the Tahoe National Forest, about 7 miles southwest of Soda Springs and Interstate 80. It sees fairly little traffic for a variety of reasons, but the views from the summit plateau are amazing. The mountain sits above Royal Gorge, a 4500 foot-deep canyon where the American River rushes and crashes down into the Foothills and onward to Sacramento. Snow Mountain's west, north, and eastern aspects are, for the most part, quite mellow and covered with typical flora found in this area. White tip fir, lodgepole pine, and mule's ears are found in abundance on this side of the mountain. The south face is a steep and rocky slope that plunges from the summit for 4500 feet to the North Fork American River in a mere mile and a half. Approaches from the north from I-80 cross private property and are not advised. This peak can be bagged in conjunction with its neighbor Devils Peak, and in doing so can make a nice snowshoe, cross country ski, or hiking day.

Getting There

Avoid accessing this mountain using the obvious roads that cross private land to the north. Accessing from American River Canyon is legal, but arduous. There might be legal access from Kidd Lakes/Cascades Lakes area, but be sure to do your due diligence in knowing where property boundaries lie. 

Red Tape

The mountain itself is located in the Tahoe National Forest, so national forest rules apply there. Private land is pervasive north of the peak, stretching to I-80. Make sure you do your homework in knowing where the public/private land boundaries are before hiking to this peak.


Camping

Camping is allowed anywhere around Snow Mountain on National Forest land. External Links