Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.41160°N / 122.6239°W
Additional Information County: Sonoma
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 1909 ft / 582 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This page is still under construction. The route portion of this page will be completed soon when I can get some pictures and gps coordinates.

Bennett Mountain is a 1,909 feet (582 m) summit in the Sonoma Mountains of California. Located on the west edge of Annadel State Park, it separates Bennett Valley in the Russian River drainage basin from Sonoma Valley in the Sonoma Creek drainage basin.

Bennett Valley was named for James N. Bennett, an emigrant from Illinois who settled in the area in the 19th century.


Bennet Peak from Canyon TrailBennett Mountain viewed from Canyon Trail.

View of Santa Rosa from Bennett MountainA view of Santa Rosa from the grassy knoll near the peak.

Getting There

To get to Bennet Mountain, you first need to find yourself on the Spring Creek trail in Annadel State Park. The trail can be accessed by parking in the nearby Spring Lake Regional Park or by parking near a neighborhood access. Spring Lake Regional Park requires a fee to park while the neighborhood accesses do not.

Spring Creek Trail through Spring Lake Regional Park
To get to Spring Lake Regional Park, take highway 12 into Santa Rosa. Keep going straight and highway 12 will turn into Hoen Avenue. Stay on Hoen Avenue until you pass the intersection with Summerfield Road and then take a left onto Newanga Avenue. Take a right to stay on Newanga Avenue. Newanga Avenue will take you to the gate for Spring Lake Regional Park. After the gate, take a right and go up a hill. Take another right. When the road starts to loop around, park anywhere and Spring Creek Trail will be right there.
Directions 1


Spring Creek Trail via the Stonehedge Drive neighborhood walk-in
Head east on Hoen Avenue and take a right onto Summerfield Road. Take a left onto Stonehedge Drive. Take Stonehedge drive all the way until the road ends. Park on the street and the walk in will be right in front of you.
Directions 2


Spring Creek Trail via the Carissa Avenue walk-in and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Trail
Head east on Hoen Avenue and take a right onto Summerfield Road. Take a left onto Carissa Avenue. Eventually take a slight left to stay on Carissa avenue and you will see a trail to your right. Park on the street and hike in. Keep going straight at the fork and descend down to the creek. This trail brings you to the junction of Spring Creek Trail and Canyon Trail. It's the closest trail head to get to Bennett Mountain and the least crowded.
Directions 3



Bennet Mountain, Santa Rosa, California - Map RouteA rough sketch of the route from start of Canyon Trail to the northern grassy peak.


Take the Spring Creek trail into Annadel State Park and turn onto Canyon Trail. You will eventually find an unmarked "closed" trail leading steeply uphill through many dead Douglas Fir trees. The trail will eventually lead into up to a grassy ridge. Follow the trail through several clearings until you reach a steep incline heading directly up to a flat, grassy area. At the grassy flank of the peak, there is a nice area to sit down and enjoy the view. If you hike farther up to the actual peak, you will encounter no trespassing signs.

Red Tape

Portions of the mountain reside in private property. Some places may be unmarked as such, but still be in private property. Be mindful and respectful of this.

Camping

Camping is available at the nearby Spring Lake Regional Park. Overnight camping is not allowed anywhere in Annadel State Park. Add External Links text here.