Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 54.49447°N / 3.30345°W
Additional Information County: Cumbria
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2687 ft / 819 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

SteepleCloudy Steeple

Steeple is a wonderful Lakeland mountain located between Ennerdale and Wasdale. Its distinctive cone shaped peak can be identified with ease and lures people to climb it. It is linked with its parent peak Scoat Fell by a rocky arĂȘte which can be traversed with ease. It is a little rocky in places but regarded as a walk.

Getting There

SteepleA broken spectre on Steeple

Steeple is located between the Wasdale and Ennerdale Valleys. The closest car park is roughly 3 miles away at Wasdale Head, with another on the edge of Wast Water. From Ennerdale the closest car park is at Bowness Knott about 4 miles down the valley.

To get to Ennerdale from the east, follow the A66 past Keswick to Cockermouth and at the Roundabout turn left down the A5089 to which Ennerdale Bridge is signposted from after about 10 miles.

Red Tape

No Red Tape.

Camping

There is a national trust camp site in Wasdale just at the end of Wast Water and another at Wasdale Head. There are no nearby campsites to the north but there are two youth hostels. One at High Gillerthwaite and the other at the far end of Ennerdale called Black Sail.

External Links

Steeple Information and Photos

Routes

Routes up SteepleRoutes up Steeple

Route 1 - Blue Route
This route starts off at Bowness Knott just by Ennerdale Water and follows the path through the bottom of the valley before heading up along Lingmell (not the one attached to Scafell Pike) and then up a long ridge called Long Crag. The ridge is easy but steep with no rocky sections so regarded as a simple walk. The ridge leads straight to the summit and is a great route to the top.

Route 2 - Red Route
Starting off at Wasdale Head this route heads up Mosedale to Black Sail Pass and turns west around Looking Stead and up to Pillar before turning south west to Scoat Fell. The arete linking Scoat Fell with Steeple is short and simple and not difficult enough to be graded as a scramble.

Route 3 - Orange
This route starts at the base of Yewbarrow just near Wast Water and follows the valley floor up to the col between Haycock and Scoat Fell. From the col the path heads up Scoat Fell and then onto Steeple.

Route 4 - Yellow
This is part of the Mosedale Horseshoe (can be linked with the Red Route to complete a full circuit). It starts at Wasdale ad ascends Bell Rib on Yewbarrow and follows the obvious ridge over Red Pike and up onto Scoat Fell. From there its a traverse of the simple arete to Steeple.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

The Lake District (UK)Mountains & Rocks