Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.82751°N / 122.49976°W
Additional Information County: Marin
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 920 ft / 280 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hawk Hill is located in the Marin Headlands which is part of the Golden Gate Recreational Area.  You can hike to the hill or simply drive up to it, park, and then make a very short and easy hike up to perhaps the best viewing vista of SF.  This is not so much a hiking peak, but more of a viewing peak.  It is something that should not be missed in the SF area.  Because of its popularity and ease of access, there are many sites with information and comments about it.  I learned of it from a SF native who told me to take a bottle of wine up to it and enjoy the sunset.  It was good advice.

Hawk Hill is also noted as a spot for viewing raptors and butterflies.

Hawk Hill can be very windy, and foggy, so it is wise to be prepared for such weather.  

SF from Hawk Hill


Getting There

Driving access is by Conzelman Rd., Golden Gate Recreational Area, Sausalito, CA  94965, so you can get driving directions by using mapping software to this point.  There is parking just before the road turns into a one-way road going to Point Lomita lighthouse.

Here are the driving directions from SF:  take US-101 across the Golden Gate Bridge and, once across the bridge, quickly take exit 442 for Alexander Ave. Keep left at the fork and follow signs for US-101 S/San Francisco.  Turn left onto Alexander Ave and then take the first right onto Conzelman Rd. which starts to proceed up the hills in Marin Headlands.  At the traffic circle in a little over a mile, take the third exit and stay on Conzelman Rd.

Route

Hiking trail maps are available at http://www.parksconservancy.org/visit/park-sites/marin-headlands.html  This view looks out NW and shows some of the hiking areas.

NW view from Hawk Hill
It is somewhat rare to see this view because it is usually blocked by fog.

Here is another picture in this direction, with fog:

Hawk Hill Inspirational Picture
Looking NW from atop Hawk Hill

Something to remember is that the best and easiest access to Hawk Hill is right off of Conzelman Rd.  When using such access, you simly park your car and then walk up to the hilly outlook area above the parking.  Here is a copy of the Marin Headlands Trail Map obtained from www.nps.gov/gog/marin-headlands.htm which sets forth the location of some hiking trails and the Hawk hiking camp.  Note that these trails are more in Marin Headlands, but can be combined to reach Hawk Hill.
 
Marin Headlands Trail Map
Marin Headlands Trail Map

Red Tape

None really.  Hawk Hill is located within the Golden Gate Recreational Area and its site is listed in External Links.

When to Climb

Any time.  The views will vary with time of day and time of year.  Fog is a potential issue.

Fog Rolling Across Hills Seen from Hawk Hill

I have posted a video shot of Hawk Hill which includes the fog rolling over the hills shown above at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjAFXPzHRJU

Camping

Camping is available at Hawk Camp.  Information for camping is available at http://www.parksconservancy.org/visit/camp/

External Links 

http://www.parksconservancy.org/visit/park-sites/hawk-hill.html

http://www.nps.gov/goga/naturescience/hawk-hill.htm

http://www.ggro.org/hhlandmarks.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawk_Hill,_California

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Jesus Malverde

Jesus Malverde - Mar 22, 2013 10:46 am - Hasn't voted

Camping? Kirby Cove: Campsite #1

Looking for nearby camping? Consider the walk-in campsites at nearby Kirby Cove. Word: Campsite #1 is one of the best developed campsites in California (no joke). The view/location is INCREDIBLE and a night in campsite #1 there is totally memorable. The problem? The campsite #1 is booked months in advance and you probably need to monitor the availability A LOT to find a reservation window/availability. Recreation.gov's Reservation Site Also: http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Kirby_Cove_Campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70972&topTabIndex=Search

royanderson

royanderson - Mar 22, 2013 11:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Great Advice

I would like to try the campsite you mention; I am sure it would be something to remember. A problem for me is that I live in LA, so it sounds like I will not be able to get it on short notice when I come to the Bay area. But this should be great advice for anybody near SF. Thank you for this addition.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.