Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.63202°N / 120.40388°W
Additional Information County: Okanogan
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7001 ft / 2134 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Short and sweet and steep, the Goat Peak trail leads to a fire lookout high above the beautiful Methow Valley. Glorious views of the Pasayten, Tiffany Highlands, and North Cascades await at the top.

Getting There


From Winthrop drive the North Cascades Highway (State Route 20) west for 8 miles, turning right onto Goat Creek Road at milepost 185 (the turnoff is just before the bridge over the Methow River). Continue on Goat Creek Road for 3.3 miles, turning right onto Forest Road 52. (If coming from the west, follow SR 20 east to the Mazama turnoff. Drive 0.5 mile to Mazama, then turn right onto Goat Creek Road and drive 1.9 miles, turning left onto FR 52.) Proceed on FR 52 for 2.8 miles, turning left onto FR 5225. In 5.6 miles turn right onto FR Spur 200 and drive 3 miles to the trailhead (elev. 5600 ft).

Route

The Goat Peak trail is 5.0 miles round trip, with an elevation gain of 1400 ft. From the trailhead head up through open forest. After 0.5 mile of fairly easy hiking, the trail kicks into gear and starts gaining elevation quickly. Some tight switchbacks bring the trail up to a small knoll and breathtaking views of Silver Star. Fom there the trail rolls and climbs another 0.5 mile to the summit.

Red Tape

At this time no pass is needed for the trailhead.

When to Climb

Goat Peak is usually hike able from early July until the snow starts to fly.

Camping

There is camping nearby along Hwy 20 and there are also numerous lodging options in the nearby town of Winthrop.