Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.86790°N / 106.7389°W
Additional Information County: Routt/Jackson
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 11396 ft / 3474 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

If you like solitude and spectacular views, chances are you will like the Mount Zirkel Wilderness, located in the northern Park Range and Sierra Madre of Colorado. Only a few of the peaks get much attention (namely Mount Zirkel, Mount Ethel, Lost Ranger Peak, and Big Agnes), but even then the popular peaks are much less crowded than many of the other places in Colorado. On our ascent of Buck Mountain South, I placed a register on the summit.

Buck Mountain South is the highest mountain in the Sierra Madre, a relatively unknown range in Wyoming and Colorado. It must be mentioned, however that there is some confusion as to which range Buck Mountain belongs to. Most maps, including the USGS 1:24,000 scale map label Buck Mountain as being in the Sierra Madre, while the USGS 1:250,000 scale map labels it in the Park Range. The 1:100,000 scale map isn't clear either way. Joseph Kramarsic's book, which included much of the history on the mountains, says the boundary between the Park Range and Sierra Madre is the North Fork Elk River and the Encampment River. This seems logical and would put mountains such as Black Mountain, Buck Mountains, and Farwell Mountain in the Sierra Madre.

Although the peaks in the Mount Zirkel Wilderness are lower than they are in some other parts of Colorado, the Mount Zirkel Wilderness receives more snow on average than any other part of Colorado (nearly 500 inches of snow a year according to SNOTEL data), thus lower mountains have a much more alpine appearance than they would for similar elevation mountains in other parts of Colorado. Despites its relatively low elevation, snowbanks on Buck Mountain last throughout the summer in almost all years.

Buck Mountain itself is perhaps less spectacular than the most impressive peaks in the Mount Zirkel Wilderness, but if offers the best views of the Sawtooth Range, which is one of the most rugged mountain areas in all of Colorado. The views of the Sawtooth Range are probably the primary attraction of climbing Buck Mountain.

Buck Mountain actually has two peaks that are each considered individual peaks by Colorado standards. Buck Mountain North has a prominence of 392 feet and its parent Peak is Buck Mountain South. Buck Mountain South is slightly closer to the Sawtooth Range, but Mount Zirkel is in the background of some of the more rugged peaks, such as the Castle. Buck Mountain North is slightly farther away, but Mount Zirkel stands apart from the entire Sawtooth Range, so the individual peaks stand out more. Both peaks offer equal views of the Sawtooth Range for these two different reasons.

Buck Mountain South has a real wilderness feel to it, but is slightly less remote than the northern summit due to its proximity to the North Fork Elk River and Diamond Park Trailheads. The peak can be climbed in one very long day, but it would be a tough one! If you can spare the time, an overnight trip is recommended. The peak also has a beautiful cirque basin on the east which contains Lake Diana, another attraction of climbing the mountain.

Descending Buck Mountain (South)Descending Buck Mountain South.

Getting There

There are many possible trailheads that can be used to climb Buck Mountain South.

If you are approaching Buck Mountain North from the southern routes, the Slavonia Trailhead and Diamond Park Trailhead are the two main trailheads. The Slavonia Trailhead can be reached by passenger cars, but road to the North Fork Elk River Trailhead is considered to be a 4wd road. A 4wd is preferable, but the road, at least of August 2013 is barely passable for AWD vehicles such as a Subaru Outback.

Slavonia Trailhead

From Steamboat Springs head two miles NW on US 40 to CR 129 (Elk River Road) and turn right at the stoplight. Head 17.5 miles, past Clark, to Glen Eden, and turn right again at Seedhouse Road (a.k.a. CR 64 and FR 400) and follow the road and signs about ten miles to the trailhead. Seedhouse Road is passable for passenger cars to the trailhead.

Diamond Park Trailhead

Follow the directions above to the Slavonia Trailhead. Just past the Seedhouse Campground there is an intersection with FR 433 (a.k.a. Lost Dog Road).

Turn north on FR 433 and follow it 3.9 miles to the junction with FR 44.1. To this point, the road is good for most vehicles, but the rest of the route to the trailhead is considered to be a 4wd road. Turn left (west) here and and descend 2.1 miles to the bridge. Continue North on FR 431 and follow it 1.5 miles to the trailhead.

Buck Mountain SouthBuck Mountain South as seen not far from the trailhead.

Routes Overview

Southeast Ridge via Lake Diana

The easiest route to the summit of Buck Mountain South is probably the Southeast Ridge via Lake Diana. This is a class 2 route and is fairly easy, though steep in sections.

Lake Diana can be reached from the Diamond Park Trailhead southeast of the mountain, which is probably the shortest route to the lake. Even so, the climb is about 17 miles round trip.

Lake Diana can also be reached from the north and via the Encampment River Trailhead. Either the West Fork Encampment River or the Encampment River Trails can be used. The approach is a bit longer than the one from Diamond Park, but gentle for most of the distance.

Approaches to Lake Diana from the east from around Big Creek Lakes are possible, but these are longer routes and have more elevation gain.

See the Route Page for details on the Diamond Park/Lake Diana Route.

Southeast RidgeThe Southeast Ridge of Buck Mountain South.


Buck Mountain RoutesPurple = Buck Mountain South via Lake Diana.


Other Routes

One obvious route up or down Buck Mountain South is the ridge traverse between Buck Mountain North and Buck Mountain South. The ridge itself is pretty easy.

RidgeOn the ridge traverse of Black Mountain. Buck Mountain South is in the distance.


Buck Mountain North could be via the West Ridge from Diamond Park. This is a much shorter route than the route from Lake Diana, but is a more rugged route, though not technical.

The south face of Buck Mountain is very steep and probably erosion prone. It doesn’t look like a fun route, though under rare occasions it may offer some snow routes.

Buck Mountain SouthBuck Mountain South from the Southwest. The west ridge is to the left and the south face is the broad face across most of the photo.



Red Tape

No permits are required. Standard wilderness regulations apply.

Additional Regulations for the Mount Zirkel Wilderness area as follows:

Camping is prohibited within 100 feet of any trail, wilderness lake or stream. Camping is prohibited within 1/4 mile (1320 feet) of Gilpin Lake, Gold Creek Lake and Three Island Lake. Camping, leaving camping equipment or personal property or otherwise occupying national forest system lands for a period longer than 14 days within a 30-day period on a ranger district is prohibited. Camping within 200 feet of a posted sign reserving a site for a commercial outfitter is prohibited.

Storing equipment, personal property or supplies is prohibited within the wilderness for more than 14 days within a 30-day period, including time the area was used for camping.

Building, maintaining, attending or using campfires is prohibited within 100 feet of any trail, wilderness lake or stream. Building, maintaining, attending or using campfires is prohibited within 1/4 mile (1320 feet) of Gilpin Lake, Gold Creek Lake and Three Island Lake.

Dogs must be leashed or under control.

Possessing, discharging or using any kind of firework or pyrotechnic device is prohibited.

The maximum group size is a combination of 25 persons and/or pack/saddle animals, with the maximum number of persons being 15.

Shortcutting switchbacks is prohibited.

BoulderTread lightly, stay safe, and have fun on Buck Mountain South.

When to Climb

Mid July to early September is the most popular time to climb here. July is fine, but this area gets more snowfall than anywhere else in Colorado, so winter snows tend to stay late and through most of July. Stream crossings can be problematic in June and July and it should be expected that the meadows will be really wet.

June and July would be the ideal time of year for snow routes, especially on the east side cirque basins.

Fall is a fine season as well, but wear blaze orange during the hunting season. Big snowfalls usually don’t come until late September or early October.

Winter ascents of Buck Mountain are certainly possible, though it’s a long trek in when the road is closed. Because of heavy snowfall, trail breaking will not be easy and be aware of avalanche danger. For the well prepared climber, a winter ascent would prove a worthy challenge, but plan to have several days at your disposal.

A snowmobile would cut down the distance to the trailhead significantly in winter and spring.

Buck Mountain SouthBuck Mountain South (just right of center) as seen from Buck Mountain North as seen in mid-August during a severe drought.

Camping

There are several developed campgrounds along Seedhouse Road for those making the standard approach.

There are also several undeveloped campsites along FR 44.1 and FR 431, especially near the bridge. The Diamond Park Trailhead also has acceptable campsites.

Backcountry campsites are surprisingly scarce along the North Fork Elk River due to wetlands and downed timber. Some that look inviting are too close to the trail or river to meet Forest Service regulations.

There is one good campsite along the trail down on a bench maybe 1/2 to the point where the trail begins its climb out of the North Fork Elk River Valley. We found a marginal campsite right near where the trail leaves the river, but it wasn't the best location.

Encampment Meadows has many inviting campsites. You can find several acceptable campsites around Lake Diana as well, though make sure to tread lightly in this sub alpine environment.

Lake DianaLake Diana reflects Buck Mountain South.

Mountain Conditions

For current information, contact:

HahnsPeak/Bears Ears Ranger District
925 Weiss Drive
Steamboat Springs, CO 80487-9315
970-879-1870
FAX 970-870-2284

CLICK HERE FOR THE WEATHER FORECAST FOR MOUNT ZIRKEL WILDERNESS

Below is the National Weather Service Climate Summary of Steamboat Springs. The data is from 1908-2012. This is the closest long term weather station, but be aware that higher elevations will be much wetter and colder. Steamboat Springs is at 6695 feet elevation, so expect the temperatures on the higher elevations of the Mount Zirkel Wilderness to be 15-20 degrees colder than in Steamboat (except for cold winter nights).


MONTHAVE HIGHAVE LOWREC HIGHREC LOWAVE PREC (in)
JAN29157-542.47
FEB344 59-482.24
MAR421370-342.11
APR542479-152.28
MAY65318882.08
JUN753696191.49
JUL824197251.54
AUG804098201.60
SEP72339361.81
OCT602481-161.89
NOV431472-281.97
DEC31364-442.38



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.