Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 53.19120°N / 119.14768°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 9724 ft / 2964 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mumm Peak is located on the border of Alberta and British Columbia. It was named in 1910 by J. Norman Collie after Mumm, Arnold L.

Mumm Peak offers spectacular views of both the Murial Glacier and Mount Robson Masif. It is rarely climbed in the season and offers unique views of a unqiue mountain region.

Getting There

Mount Robson Provincial Park is location on Hwy 16 between Edmonton and Kamloops. For international travellers, the closest major airport is in Edmonton, Alberta and the drive is approximately four hours. 

Route

Mumm Peak is easily accessed via the Berg Lake trail. From the Hargreaves Cabin take the Mumm Basin trail to Mumm Basin. On reaching the basin directly in front of you will be Mumm Peak. There is a very prominent ridge that runs down the South (there is a stick on a cairn visible half way up). Follow the South Ridge to the summit pyramid, a little castlette feature that makes the summit. There is a 100m snow slope that is there year round between the top of the south ridge and the summit pyramid, you may want an ice axe. The left hand summit is the one most commonly climbed and the last/only pitch is a 30' chimney. There is a slinged boulder to aid an overhanging move but overall it is an easy 5th class climb (although a rope would aid in the going down). The whole trek is a long 3rd class for a 5th class finish on horrendeous rock. The views are what make it worth it.

Red Tape

It costs $10.00/night/person to camp on the Berg Lake Trail during the summer and is free in the winter. 

When to Climb

Mumm Peak is most commonly climbed in July - August. 

Camping

There is lots of camping on the Berg Lake Trail and Robson Pass campground would be the closest to the route. Camping is $10.00/night/person.

External Links

Mount Robson Provincial Park