Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.51918°N / 2.45655°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9134 ft / 2784 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Canigó
From l'entanyol de Cortalets. July 2013
The Pica de Canigó (2,784m) is the most important mountain at East or Pyrenees. It's only at 50km of mediterraneas sea (and even you can see it from the summit in cleary days). When we talk about a peak so high so near of the sea we discover the summit very far of the villages and valleys (it's around 100m or 300m of height) and a lot of routes are very long (with more than 2,000m of slopes to gain). For this reason the bussiness is on and a few of 4x4 cars can carry you very high (paying of course) but if you have enough time and forces is advisable the route from the valley sleeping in some of the refuges if you want to climb in two days.

Getting There

Perpignan is the most importan city in the area and it's easy to reach using roadmaps. From there you have 1h by road to the area of Canigó with some posibilities depending of the route and trailehead.

-Fillols (760m), with acces from Prades, it's the place where you can reach coll de Milleres (840m) to park. From there you can walk or you can pay a 4x4 to reach Refugi de Cortalets (2,150m)

-Castell (795m), with access from Villefrenche and Vernet-Les-Bains where you can reach Coll de Jou (1,125m). From there you must walk to Refugi de Merialles (1,720m)

-Valmanya (830m), with access in the road from Perpignan to Prades, where you can reach across a narrow road Los Masos de Valmanya (1,030m). From there the route goes across Refugi de Cortalets (2,150m) and you can divide it in two days or make a little effort to gain the summit in 1h 30m more after a little break in the hut. You will need normally around 5h to reach the summit and it's a easy route for mountaineers.


Ver mapa más grande

Route

Add Route text here.

Red Tape

The mountain is in a natural reserve with rules about wildlife, camping, etc

When to Climb

June to October.

Camping

Add Camping text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pyrénées: CanigóMountains & Rocks