Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.83310°N / 122.06486°W
Additional Information County: Contra Costa
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1827 ft / 557 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Las Trampas Ridge looking northwest
Calaveras Ridge trail looking north (Las Trampas Ridge)

Las Trampas Ridge is a steep rocky ridge that runs northwest for about 8 miles from the town of San Ramon to the town of Lafayette in the SF East Bay with San Ramon Valley on the east side and Bollinger Canyon on the west.
Most of the rugged slopes are covered in dense sagebrush chaparral, oak and laurel trees with occasional rock slabs jutting up. A good system of trails run along the various portions of the ridge over high points roughly 16 to 1700 plus feet in elevation.
Las Trampas is Spanish for "the traps". Spanish hunters used the steep canyon walls with the network of subridges to trap deer.
Las Trampas Peak is the big rolling high point at the northwest end of the ridge. Several acres of open hillside can be roamed to expand the view which includes Mt. Diablo to the east, the Briones Hills to the north, San Pablo Ridge to the northeast and Rocky Ridge just across Bolinger Canyon to the southwest.

Las Trampas Peak is a moderate hike from Bollinger Canyon along the ridge and back down to the canyon. It is approximately 4.5 miles and 1500 ft. of gain taking in the ups and downs along the ridge.

The peak can also be approached from the town of Danville in San Ramon Valley. For a map of Las Trampas Regional Wilderness that includes these trail heads click here.

Getting There

 
Las Trampas Ridge with Mt. Diablo
East to Mt. Diablo from Las Trampas Ridge
From Interstate 680 in San Ramon go west 1 mile on Crow Canyon Road to Bollinger Canyon Road. Go north on Bollnger Canyon Road 4.3 miles through the park gates to the road side dirt parking lot on the right. This is the Chamise Trail head.
From Interstate 580 in Castro Valley take Crow Canyon Road north 7.5 miles to Bollinger Canyon road. Follow the directions above.

Route

 
Las Trampas Ridge with Las Trampas Peak left
Las Trampas Peak from the ridge
Take the Chamise Trail (1,050' el. at trail head) up to the ridge and continue northwest along the ridge to Las Trampas Peak which is up to the left at 2.5 miles.
Return about .75 miles along the ridge and take the fire road trail back down to the right to Bollinger Canyon another 1.25 miles to the parking area again.

Red Tape

 
Eagle Peak, Las Trampas Ridge
Eagle Peak from the ridge
 
Rocky Ridge from Las Trampas Peak
Rocky Ridge from Las Trampas Peak
Click here for Red Tape info.

When to Climb

 
Rock face on Las Trampas Ridge
Rock face on Calaveras Ridge
Year around hiking should be the case. Check the red tape link for possible closures due to fire conditions etc.
Keep in mind extreme heat in the summer.

Camping

 
Sierra Club hikers heading to Las Trampas Peak
Hikers en route to Las Trampas Peak
Group Camping
The Corral Area is a reservable overnight group camp. Campers need to provide their own water. The parks water supply is inconsistent and water may be unavailable at any time. For information or reservations phone 1-888-EBPARKS or 1-888-327-2757, press option 2.

Current weather and 5 day forecast

 
San Pablo Ridge from Las Trampas Ridge
San Pablo Ridge from Bolinger Canyon
For the current weather and 5 day forecast for Danville click here.