Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.84250°N / 122.53°W
Additional Information County: Marin
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 970 ft / 296 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Red Carpet to the Golden Gate
Golden Gate from Wolf Ridge
Wolf Ridge is a massive grass and chaparral covered hill that rises near the southwest corner of the Marin Headlands in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. It is defined by Rodeo Lagoon to the south, Gerbode Valley to the east, Tennessee Valley to the north and the Pacific Coast to the west. The summit is a leveled area that supports the remains of old WW 2 bunkers and the like surrounded by an old anchor fence topped with barbed wire.
A 4.5 mile round trip moderate hike starts out by Rodeo Lagoon and circles the hill with a brief diversion to the top and back on down above the coast to the Lagoon again.
There are outstanding views of the Golden Gate Channel and past Ocean Beach in SF as far as Montara Mountain as well as the Rodeo Lagoon below. To the north Mt. Tamalpais rules the horizon beyond the headlands.

Getting There

 
Marin Headlands from Wolf Ridge
Main Headlands hills from Wolf Ridge
From San Francisco:Take Alexander Ave. (the 2nd Marin exit across the Golden Gate Bridge).Stay right on exit ramp to get to Alexander.
Turn left on Bunker Rd. (at the brown visitor center sign).
Drive through the one way tunnel approximately 2.5 miles.
Park on the right next to the buildin across the road from the Lagoon.

From North Bay:Take 101 south through the Waldo Tunnel.
Take the last Sausalito exit right before the Golden Gate Bridge.
Go right at end of exit ramp and pass under 101.
At the stop sign go straight onto Alexander Ave.
Turn left on Bunker Hill Rd. follow the rest of the directions highlighted above.

From the East Bay:Take 580 west to the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge.
Take 2nd exit after the bridge.
go through Larkspur and get on 101 south.
Follow the rest of the directions from the North Bay.

Map of the Headlands with trails.
Click on the link and go to the map and click again.

Route

 
Miwok Trail in Gerbode Valley
Miwok Trail start of hike in Gerbode Valley
From the trailhead parking take the Miwok Trail which starts out in Gerbode Valley and climbs counterclockwise up to the Wolf Ridge Trail at 1.5 miles. Go left on the Wolf Ridge Trail .7 miles and take a sharp left up the fenced corridor and through the gate with the latch to the summit area.
Continue on back down on the Wolf Ridge Trail which becomes the Coastal Trail and follow it counterclockwise back to the trailhead parking at another 2.3 miles. 
Of course you can do the route in reverse but the ocean and Golden Gate views are more enjoyable coming down.
 

Red Tape

 
Farallon Islands from the Coastal Trail
Farallon Islands from the Coastal Trail
There are no access fees for regular daily use for Headlands/GGNRA.
Please observe off limits natural habitat areas.

The Visitor Center is open daily from 9 am to 4:30 except Christmas and Thanksgiving.

When to Climb

 
Mount Tamalpais from Wolf Ridge
Mt. Tam from Wolf Ridge
Any time year around. Keep in mind the coastal fog often covers the area in summer limiting the views.

Camping

 
Rodeo Beach at dusk
Rodeo Beach at dusk from the Coastal Trail
For camping and other activities click here.

Current weather and forecast

For current Headlands weather and 5 day forecast click here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.