Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.71050°N / 105.4715°W
Additional Information County: Clear Creek
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10537 ft / 3212 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Approaching Santa Fe Mountain
Approaching Santa Fe Mountain from the east

With over 1,000 feet of vertical prominence, Santa Fe Mountain stands out handsomely against its surroundings. The peak is easily recognizable rising to the northwest from the intersection of CO 103 (Squaw Pass Road) and CR 475 by Mount Judge. The peak is gentle, rounded and wooded. Sadly the views are limited from her summit, though the top does present a pleasant summit boulder to perch upon. This is a great mountain to save for a cold snowy day when the trees on the slopes provide cover from harsh winter winds.

Rank: 2022nd highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 1077 feet
USGS Quad: Squaw Pass
Recommended Planning Map: Trails Illustrated #100 Boulder | Golden

Rank and Prominence Stats: Lists of John

Getting There

Romping through the powder
Doug and Jill romping through fresh morning powder
Fresh powder trench
Fresh powder trench
Jill working her way toward the peak
Jill working her way to peak
Down on the flats
Down on the flats

Santa Fe Mountain is surrounded by roads and highways and easily accessible from I-70 to the north and CO 103 to the south. Trailheads can be found both on CO 103 and Clear Creek County 182 (Beaver Brook Canyon Road.) For detailed route into, see the left panel for the route up Beaver Brook Canyon Road.

Red Tape

 
Santa Fe Mountain Summit
Santa Fe Mountain Summit
 
In the upper aspen meadow
Upper aspen glade
 
Summit boulder
Summit boulder

This area is a strange patchwork of National Forest lands, Clear Creek County Open Space and a sliver or two of private property. Certain paths and gas pipelines, however, seem to be respected recreational rights-of-way. Please help ensure future access to these trails by behaving yourself and being respectful if accessing this peak from a residential area. There is no fee visit this area and permits are not required for parking or foot travel.

Please follow LNT (Leave No Trace) principles:

1.Plan Ahead and Prepare
2.Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
3.Dispose of Waste Properly
4.Leave What You Find
5.Minimize Campfire Impacts
6.Respect Wildlife
7.Be Considerate of Other Visitors

Camping & Lodging

 
Heading back to the Jeep
Heading back to the Jeep
 
The return trench
The return trench
 
Crossing a small meadow
Small meadow
 
Strolling through the woods
Through the woods


Echo Lake Campground
The Echo Lake campground is less than ten miles from the CO Hwy 103 trailhead toward Santa Fe Mountain. It is a small, relatively high elevation campground at 10,600 feet elevation with only 18 sites and is open seasonally from (roughly) late May through mid-September. There is no camping on the I-70 side of the mountain in the immediate vicinity of the peak.

Georgetown
The community of Georgetown has a few lodging options, mostly of the simple, family-run variety. Visit the Trip Advisor Georgetown Page for more information on lodging in this town.

Idaho Springs
Like Georgetown, nearby Idaho Springs has a few simple, family-run lodging options. Visit the Trip Advisor Idaho Springs Page for more information on lodging in this town.

Weather & Seasons

 
Scenery in the valley
Scenery in the valley
 
Mountains to our north
Mountains to our north


Find more about Weather in Golden, CO
Click for weather forecast
Santa Fe Mountain is a year-round peak and in fact winter is the ideal time to visit. Heavy snows in winter and spring could result in temporary closure of Hwy 103 and/or the residential access roads from I-70. Expect very dense crowds along the Hwy 103 / Hwy 5 corridor in the summer and heavy ski traffic on I-70 in the winter.
Find more about Weather in Golden, CO
Click for weather forecast

External Links

Please notify me via the Additions and Corrections section of any trip reports or other outside web information that should be included as External Links.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.