Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.20940°N / 115.7527°W
Additional Information County: Valley
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8533 ft / 2601 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

StatsSteamboat Mountain has some attraction to peak baggers, because according to Lists of John it has over 2000' of prominence.

5.2 miles round trip
Class 1
1900' gain
3 hours car-to-car

Getting There

Another 9 miles, all on dirt, gets you over a small summit and down to Stratton Creek. The trail starts in Stratton Creek. There is no trailhead parking; just pull over in the most convenient wide spot (and anticipate trailers, etc. using the road). That's a grand total of about 37 miles, and expect it to take about an hour from McCall.After Secesh Summit, the road begins to descend to Burgdorf Junction, which you will reach in about 6 more miles. That's the end of the pavement.

If you follow the road a little farther, you would be at Steamboat Summit.

Route

The trail up the peak starts just east of the creek. Only about 100 yards up the trail, there is a fork.

Take the right fork and immediately cross the creek. Then simply follow the trail. It's a little thin in places as it traverses the old burn, but there is a tread for most of it and some of the less distinct parts are cairned.

The trail goes quite close to the summit.  At this point, you're still in the burn so if you can't find the trail, just head up. The bushwhacking is easy, but possibly with some small-diameter logs to crawl over.

Red Tape

Warren Wagon Road is not plowed, so from roughly November 1 through June 1, the road could be closed.

When to Climb

Summer and Fall would be the best seasons. In late Fall, check the hunting regulations and wear bright colors.

Camping

On the drive to the 'trailhead', you pass several official campgrounds, including Upper Payette Lake and Chinook. Upper Payette Lake is very popular, so you may need reservations.
 
There is also some dispersed camping available, but much of the stretch between Burgdorf Junction and Chinook Campground is private land. The trailhead does not look like good camping.
 
For additional information on this climb and other peaks in the area, please see Tom Lopez's excellent book, Idaho: A Climbing Guide