Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.70779°N / 121.23307°W
Additional Information County: Yakima
Activities Activities: Mixed
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6835 ft / 2083 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Shellrock Peak in the clouds!
Shellrock 

Shellrock Peak had been a peak that I have wanted to visit for a while now. It can be climbed all year round. I finally decided to make the journey in November of 2013. I enjoyed it in a 3 day 2 night back backing trip.The conditions and weather were typical for a mid-November hike in the South Eastern Cascades. The area seems remote and off the "beaten path". More than enough encouragement for a return visit to the area and explore some other peaks there. 

Looking at Old Snowy
A look at Old Snowy

Getting There

Take US Route 12 East, about 8.4 miles east of White Pass, to National Forest Road 1308, on the left. Follow NFR 1308 for .75 miles then taking a right on NFR 1382. Follow NFR 1382 all the way to the end (approximately 3.5 miles) where the trail head to NF trail 1111 begins. 

Route

Back down
Looking up the palisades near the summit

Climb trail 1111 until it junctions with trail 1141 at 1.7 miles and elevation gain of just over 1200 ft. Turn left or West on trail 1141 until a junction at .65 miles. Take the trail turning right heading north, the USGS map still shows this trail to be trail 1141. The trail quickly begins a down hill slope and at .4 miles it come to Fox Meadow (elevation 5800 ft), where I set up my camp. From Fox Meadow continue north on trail 1141 for 2 miles where the trail comes out of a ravine for a fork to Wildcat creek (use as a landmark). Continue north along the trail for about .5 miles and at 6300 ft. Turn left (West) leaving the trail and bush whack  for about .1 miles to the beginning of the rocky ridge of Shellrock Peak. The foliage is thin here finding the rocks to the ridge should not be a problem.  Follow the ridge west then North for about .6 mile until the peak at 6835 ft.  

Heading back down the ridge
Looking down the ridge

Red Tape

I know of none, except the back-country tag to fill out at trail head.

When to Climb

This mountain can be climbed at anytime. However in winter the climb will be much long than in summer. The ideal time to climb this mountain is July to October.  I climbed in November just after the first snow.

Camping

Camp at Fox Meadow
Our camping site

Fox Meadow had more than enough areas to camp.

External Links

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8rR6A3G8Eo