UN 9843 "Grouse Mountain"

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.90380°N / 105.186°W
Additional Information County: Teller
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9843 ft / 3000 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Toward Pikes Peak from the Overlook
Looking east toward Pikes Peak from the "Grouse Mountain" overlook

Though a humble little hump of a hill, “Grouse Mountain” boasts a few accolades: It is the only ranked summit in the Divide quadrangle, and the only real summit in Mueller State Park. The peak affords the visitor unusual view of Pikes Peak from the west; its actual summit hidden, Pikes looks like a massive humped ridge. From the overlook south of the summit, there are neat views of Mount Pisgah as well as distant views of mighty Sawatch range and the graceful Sangre de Cristos.

“Grouse Mountain” is a great place to visit in the winter for a gentle romp through the snow to amazing views!

Rank: 2403rd highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 463 feet
USGS Quad: Divide
Planning Map: Trails Illustrated #137 Pikes Peak | Cañon City

Rank & Prominence: Lists of John

Note: If you have better picture of "Grouse Mountain," please attach it to this page and notify me.  I failed to obtain a more impressive image of this nice little peak.

Getting There

Entry way off Hwy 67
The Mueller State Park sign off of Hwy 67
Views from the overlook
Nice views from the overlook

From Colorado Springs

Take U.S. 24 west (Cimarron) from Colorado Springs for 25 miles through Woodland Park to the town of Divide. Turn left onto Highway 67 South for 3.5 miles. Approximately 45 minutes.

Route

 
Trailhead route map
Trailhead route map
 
Strolling through the snow
Nice snow stroll
 
Route Map
Route Map
 
Through the camping area
Through the camping area

The total length and elevation gain to attain this summit depend largely on the season of your visit.

SUMMER: During the summer, you can reach this summit as part of a short jaunt from your campsite if you wish, requiring roughly 1 mile roundtrip distance with 300 feet of elevation gain.

WINTER: In the winter, after the campground gates are closed, expect a roughly 4 miles roundtrip hike/ski/snowshoe with approximately 300 feet of net elevation gain.

Follow Trail #17 to Trail #16 to reach the summit of “Grouse Mountain.” The trail system in this park is very well signed.

Note: You’ve got to continue south past the non-descript summit to the overlook to enjoy the best views!

Red Tape

No dogs
No doggies allowed
 
Park regulations
Park regulations
 
Badgers?
Badgers
 
Grouse and Turkeys
Grouse and Turkeys

There is a fee to enter Mueller State Park. As of the end of 2013:

Day Use Fee: $7.00 per vehicle
Annual Colorado Parks Pass: $70.00

Detailed use restrictions can be seen in the photo at right. Notably, dogs and motorized vehicles are prohibited on trails and in the back country.

Mueller State Park boasts healthy population of wildlife including Bighorn Sheep, Grouse, Badgers, Elk, Mountain Lion, Wild Turkey and Black Bear. Respect the no-dog rule, which apparently is in place to protect the wildlife population!

Weather and Seasons

 
 Grouse Mountain  summit area
"Grouse Mountain" summit area
 
From the summit
Pikes Peak from the summit

Detailed “worst case” weather information can be found by visiting the website for the Pikes Peak Cog Railway.”Grouse Mountain” can be hiked year-round. However, during the summer months expect heavy crowds in the state park. Even in the spring and fall, when the road to the northern-most trailhead is open, the hike to this summit is barely more difficult than a trip to the grocery from the furthest parking spot. I recommend visiting “Grouse Mountain” in the winter, when the snows have prompted the state park to close the road at the Comfort Station. This makes for a peaceful snowshoe, ski or romp through the powder and much thinner crowds .
National Weather Service zone forecast for Pikes Peak above 11,000 feet Click for weather

Camping and Cabins

 
The Crags
The Crags
 
West side of Pikes Peak
West side of Pikes Peak
 
Mount Pisgah
Mount Pisgah
 
Sangre de Cristo views
Sangre de Cristo views


Mueller State Park boasts a large number of campsites and cabins, as well.

Camping Fees

May 1 – September 30
•Walk-in tent site: $18
•Electric hook-up campsite: $22
•Aspen Leaf electric campsite: 19
•RV Group Campground: $242 per night

October 1 – April 30
•Walk-In tent only campsite: $16
•Electric hook-up campsite: $20
•Aspen Leaf electric campsite: $17
•RV Group Campground: $220 per night (open until October 14th)
Cabins Fees:
•Two bedroom / One bath: $140 per night (4 persons maximum)
•Three bedroom / One bath: $200 per night (6 persons maximum)
•Four bedroom / Two bath: $260 per night (8 persons maximum)

External Links

 
Sawatch Views
Sawatch Views

Mueller State Park Map