Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.48156°N / 11.35753°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7405 ft / 2257 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Soiernspitze
Soiernspitze north face


Some mountains are easy to recognize due to their shape. Soiernspitze is among those peaks. If you look for a Cheops Pyramid in the Alps, just drive on the highway from Munich to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. At a certain point on this journey you will see a regular shaped pyramid rise in front of you. That is Soiernspitze.

Soiernspitze is the eponymous peak of the northernmost subgroup of Karwendel range. This subgroup is about 300 to 600 m lower than the main Karwendel ranges. It has a U-shape, enclosing Fischbach valley which runs down from south to northeast. Some very rarely visited Karwendel summits are part of the subgroup. Soiernspitze, however, is well known and receives many visits during the whole year.

Located at the southeast edge of the subgroup our Cheops Pyramid is bordered by Fereinalm col to the south, the huge Soiern cirque to the north and Fermersbach valley to the east. The west ridge runs to the neighbouring peak Reissende Lahnspitze, which is nearly as high as Soiernspitze itself. The northern neighbor mountain is the rather unknown Krapfenkarspitze, one of the rarely visited summits of the subgroup.

Soiernspitze offers breathtaking views to the huge north faces of Karwendel main faces as well as to many mountains to the west, north and east. It is a nice and easy but a bit strenuous hike in summer and autumn which can be combined with an MTB tour or with some interesting traverses (see the routes section for more information).

It is, too, an interesting, though mostly rather dangerous ski tour in winter and spring. The denomination of the western neighbor summit, Reissende Lahnspitze, means “Torrential Avalange Peak”. Take this denomination seriously. Having passed my military service at Mittenwald with an exclusive view up to Soiernspitze and Reissende Lahnspitze, I know what avalanges are sometimes rushing down the steep south slopes of these mountains.

I like Soiernspitze most on late autumn or early winter days when the sun is already low and there is not yet much snow lingering on the south slopes. It is always a peaceful atmosphere up there, driving you easily away from all days pell-mell.


Getting There

 
Soiernspitze
Soiernspitze as seen from Reissende Lahnspitze


Main trailheads for Soiernspitze are

  • Mittenwald / Isarhorn; alternatively Mittenwald / Kasernen (barracks)

  • Krün

  • Hinterriß (only MTB)



  • You reach Krün and Mittenwald by car

  • from Munich on highway A 95 and road B 2 to Garmisch Partenkirchen and Klais;

  • from Innsbruck by following road number 177 to Seefled and Scharnitz and B 2 to Mittenwald and the road junction between Mittenwald and Klais.


  • For Krün trailhead follow road number B 11 at the road junction between Klais and Mittenwald. Arriving at Krün turn right on Griesweg; at the end there is a parking area.

  • For Mittenwald / Isarhorn trailhead follow road B 2 until it crosses Isar river for the first time. Turn left (right when coming from Innsbruck) before the road crosses Isar again, and follow this road until you reach the hiker parking area.

  • For Mittenwald / Kasernen leave road number B 2 after the second Isar bridge (the first Isar bridge when coming from Innsbruck) in direction Mittenwald to your right. Follow this road to the road junction “Mittenwald Kasernen (barracks). Turn left on that road and follow it straight on passing under the bridge of road B 2. After that passage turn right onto the hiker parking area.


  • Hinterriß is located at the beginning of Eng valley. This trailhead is recommended for a combined MTB and hike tour only.
    From Munich take highway A 95 to Sindelsdorf, road number B 472 to Bad Tölz and road number B 13 to Lenggries and Sylvenstein lake. From there follow road number B 307 to Vorderriß and L 282 to Hinterriß. Small parking areas are at Hinterriß or before you reach that village.



  • If you go by train, the best trailhead is Mittenwald / Kasernen, about 0,5 hours away from Mittenwald railway station.


    Routes Overview

    Soiernspitze
    Soiernspitze routes


    There are many routes up to Soiernspitze, some of them can be combined to nice one or more days round trips.

    from Mittenwald / Isarhorn or Mittenwald / Kasernen trailhead

    1. Route 1: trailheads – forest road – turn left on Lausberg trail – Lausberg – Signalkopf – Seinskopf – Feldernkopf (Ridge crest trail) – Reißende Lahnspitze – summit: an excellent traverse of several summits of the Soiern subgroup;

    2. Route 2: trailheads – forest road – Ochsenalm trail to Feldernkopf (Ridge crest trail) – Reißende Lahnspitze – summit (the upper part of the route is the same as route 1);

    3. Route 3: trailheads – forest road or Aschaualm and Jägersteig – Fereinalm – Hirzeneck (Hirzeneck trail) – summit;



    Soiernspitze
    Soiernspitze south slopes
    Soiernspitze
    Summit view to Karwendel
    Soiernspitze
    Hirzeneck trail


    from Krün

    1. Trailhead – forest road to Fischbachalm – forest road or trail (Lakaiensteig) to Soiernhaus – Soiernsee – Soiernscharte (North cirque trail) – summit;

    2. or alternatively from Soiernhaus – Schöttelkarspitze – Feldernkopf (Ridge crest trail) – Reißende Lahnspitze – summit;



    From Hinterriß
    Trailhead – with MTB on forest road to Vordersbachau – Fermersbach valley and Fereinalm; ascent on Hirzeneck trail to Hirzeneck and summit.

    Soiernspitze
    Soiern cirque
    Soiernspitze
    Summit view to the west
    Soiernspitze
    Chamois


    A rather long and lonely route (Fermersbach trail) starts near Oswald Hütte / road number L 282 to Hinterriß. Follow the forest road up to Paindl hunters cabin and the trail number 350 above Fermersbach valley to Hirzeneck. Turn right and ascent the summit on the Hirzeneck trail.

    Signposts: The whole region has yellow signposts at trail junctions and trailheads to indicate directions. These signs show hiking hours and minutes to destinations, too, which sadly are often wrong (ways too long or too short). My advice: don´t take them into account!



    Red Tape & Accommodation

    The whole Soiern subgroup belongs to the nature protection area „Karwendel und Karwendelvorgebirge”, which covers nearly the whole German Karwendel area and is thus part of the huge Alpenpark Karwendel.

    The entrance is free.

    Please respect the following rules in the Nature Protection Area:


     
    Soiernspitze
    Soiernspitze as seen from Wank summit


    You find all kind of accommodation at

    Mittenwald
    Krün
    Wallgau
    Hinterriß


    Mountain huts

    Soiernhaus
    Ferein Alm; also called Fereinsalm, Vereinalm or Vereinsalm; no overnight stay
    Krinner-Kofler-Hütte, located near Fereinalm



    Gear & Mountain Condition

     
    Soiernspitze
    Soiernspitze and Reißende Lahnspitze as seen from Schöttelkarspitze


    Soiernspitze is a year round summit.

    All summer and autumn routes are hiking routes which are marked and signposted. Some of them are, however strenuous and long – Soiernspitze should never be underestimated.

    In winter with little snow, Soiernspitze south ascents and the ridge crest traverse may be open for a great winter hike.

    Full hiking gear and enough to drink is needed for Soiernspitze.

    Soiernspitze as a ski tour should be handled carefully. As the ski routes use the north cirque or the steep south slopes, avalanche conditions should be checked carefully. The denomination of the neighbor summit of Soiernspitze, Reißende Lahnspitze, points out that there can be nasty avalanche incidents. No ski tour for beginners.

    Check the Bavarian avalanche bulletin here.

    Current Weather for Mittenwald:


    Maps & Guide Book

     
    Soiernspitze
    Soiernspitze as seen from Mittenwalder Höhenweg


    Maps

    Topographische Karte, scale 1 : 50.000, Karwendelgebirge, Werdenfelser Land; Landesamt für Vermessung und Geoinformation Bayern

    Alpenvereinskarte Bayerische Alpen, scale 1 : 25.000, map number BY 12, Karwendelgebirge Nord, Schafreiter; Deutscher Alpenverein, Landesamt für Vermessung und Geoinformation Bayern, 2010 (covers the easternmost parts of Soiersnspitze with Fermersbach trail and MTB route from Hinterriß)

    Alpenvereinskarte Bayerische Alpen, scale 1 : 25.000, map number BY 10, Karwendelgebirge Nordwest; Deutscher Alpenverein, Landesamt für Vermessung und Geoinformation Bayern, 2010


    Guide Book

    Heinrich Klier, Fritz März, und Walter Klier: Alpenvereinsführer Karwendelgebirge alpin, Bergverlag Rother, 2005



    Soiernspitze on a sunny summer day

    Soiernspitze
    Soiernspitze (right)and Reissende Lahnspitze (left) as seen from Wörnersattel.