Pizzo Berro

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.92651°N / 13.22247°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7415 ft / 2260 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pizzo Berro is a not high but beautiful mountain in Sibillini group,  between Marche and Umbria, in central Italy. The mountain has a characteristic pyramidal shape, and consists of limestone blocks emerging from green pastures. From the summit, an amazing landscape on all Sibillini area, up to Adriatic sea.

Getting There

From Rome: take the A1 – highway until Orte whereexit. Then follow indications to Terni – Spoleto, then Macerata. Just afte rPolverina lake, turn right, direction Bolognola. Pass the village up to Pintura di Bolognola where it’s possible to park.

From Milan, Venice, Bologna: take A14 –highway up to Civitanova Marche. Follow SS77 up to Macerata Ovest (West) exit. Follow SP 78up to Sarnano, then rise to Sasso Tetto pass up to to Pintura di Bolognola where it’s possible park the car. 

From here it's possible to drive up to Forcella del Fargno pass, where the path to the summit starts. The way isn't easy, in last sector, and sometimes closed (30 min. by walk). Pay attention.

Route

Normal from Fargno: From Forcella del Fargno pass take the path beginning just behind the Fargno Refuge. Pizzo Berro is clearly visible on the left side of the big glacial circle terminating to Monte Bove. Go in direction of the evident pyramid of up to reach the mountain northern ridge ( 30 min ).  Climb up to the ridge up to the summit. Just before the last climb you will met a scramble rock passage to climb with help of a chain. From summit it's possible to descend the eastern wall up to pass between Pizzo Berro and Monte Priora and climb this last.

Red Tape

No permission needed. Consider you are in a protected area and natural park. Look at Parco dei Sibillini web site to leran about the area and rules.

When to Climb

All season climb, best in spring and summer

Camping

Rifugio del Fargno (1811 m) on the Forcella del Fargno, open only in summer(from May to October). The refuge is “off-grid”, completely disconnected from any network to provide services water, electricity and gas.
Usual openings ( to verify everytime)

June Fri (evening) / Sat / Sun
July Fri (evening) / Sat / Sun
August every day
September Fri (evening) / Sat / Sun

External Links

http://www.sibillini.net/ official site Parco dei Sibillini