El Terril

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.99886°N / 5.17306°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3701 ft / 1128 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The sierra del Tablón stands in a rather isolated area south of the spanish province of Sevilla. It's basically formed by two peaks: the rocky Peñón de Algamitas on the north side and the higher, rounded, peak of el Terril. Being the highest point of the province is the main merit of this mountain, but it offers a nice -and rather solitary- hike to the summit to spend a morning and know a different area before heading towards any of the close-by villages or the beautiful town of Ronda.

Getting There

Local roads are good, but it's not easy to find a straight section in them. Expect a lot of winding sections, making the drive a rather slow one. As far as I know, the best way to reach the trailhead is by private vehicle - either via Pruna or via Algamitas- along road SE-9225. Nevertheless, additional info shall be welcome (should anybody out there be able to provide it) and included in due time in this page.

Route

First sight of the summit
The normal route is easy enough, just a walk-up from a spot on the road between Pruna and Algamitas. You can leave the car at a wide open area placed slightly before the signpost of km 8. All you have to do is watch out for the ideal place to take the path (that's across the road from the parking area), follow it and reach a wide col west of the main ridge. From that col upwards, just follow some (not too well defined) cattle trails. Always climbing up and going east. You will reach a foresummit, known in some sources as Terril Occidental, before descending towards a wide col and making the final climb to the geodesical signal on the summit of the Sevilla highpoint.

Red Tape

There's not much to be said here, you shouldn't find any kind of trouble on this mountain... as far as you observe the normal-common sense rules: carry water and warm clothing, good boots on your feet, map/compass/GPS (not really necessary, just for caution) and mind your step. Just use your head and behave sensibly.

When to Climb

Any time around the year should be OK, as far as you don't choose a particular day with a really foul weather. Naturally, the climb will be most enjoyable if sunny (that shouldn't be too hard, this is southern Spain!). Bear in mind that summer climbs (particularly those in the central hours of the day) could be a bad idea, that can make Terril a really hard hike if the temperature overcomes 30ºC.

Camping

No need for camping to climb El Terril, as the summit can be comfortably reached in a three to four-hour interval.

External Links

Mendikat: Full (spanish language) info on the mountain, complete with a couple of waypoints and a track for GPS device


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Spain's HighpointsMountains & Rocks