Tenderfoot Mountain

Tenderfoot Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.63580°N / 106.0036°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Summit
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11441 ft / 3487 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

On the summit with friends
On the summit with friends

Just west of the Continental Divide rises sweetly named Tenderfoot Mountain. In a neighborhood of soaring peaks, gentle Tenderfoot does not even break the 12,000 foot barrier. This is a rounded, wooded hill, fortunately graced by an open summit that affords the visitor pleasant views of the surrounding high country as well as a neat view of Dillon Reservoir sprawling below.

Rank: 1583rd highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 461 feet
USGS Quad: Dillon
Planning Map: Trails Illustrated Map #108 Vail, Frisco, Dillon

Rank & Prominence: Lists of John

Getting There

In the trees
In the trees

Tenderfoot Mountain is a highly accessible peak, flanked by I-70 to the north and US Hwy 6 to the south.


Western Slopes / Ridge

Directions Per the Summit County Explorer :
Take I-70 to exit 205 (Silverthorne) and then follow route 6 east for a little over a mile to a traffic light at the intersection of Evergreen Rd. and Lake Dillon Dr. (Lord of the Mountain Lutheran Church is on your left.) Turn left at this light and make an immediate right onto County Road 51. You will see a water tank on your right. Continue just past the Dillon Water Treatment Facility to a parking lot on your right. The trail starts here at the eastern edge of the parking lot.

The trail meanders upward for about 1.25 miles to a sign marking the trail's end at about 9885 feet. From here, follow the attached GPX route eastward along a gentle ridgeline to the summit.

Frey Gulch Jeep Road
According to this trip report on Lists of John, a steep Jeep road ascends the east side of Tenderfoot Mountain via Frey Gulch.

Northern Slopes
The topo map suggests there may be a route from the north, though I have no beta on this option.



Summit Area
 

Summit Area
 

Summit area
 

Summit Area
 


Red Tape

Resting at the thing
Resting at the thing
No idea
No idea

There is little if any red tape in this part of the White River National Forest and no fees are required to access this peak.

Weather and Seasons

Find more about Weather in Dillon, CO
Click for weather forecast

Tenderfoot Mountain is a year-round peak. In thesummer, take a break from windsurfing Dillon Reservoir to enjoy cool breezes atthe summit of Tenderfoot Mountain. In the fall, the air turns crisp and theAspen blaze golden. Winter is a fine time to visit this peak, but remember thatthe nearby ski resorts were developed in this area in part due to the generoussnowfall. Anticipate deep powder and don’t be at all surprised to be breakingtrail, even before leaving the trail behind for the bushwhack to the summit.
Find more about Weather in Dillon, CO
Click for weather forecast

Dillon Reservoir
Dillon Reservoir

High country in the clouds
High country in the clouds



Camping

Dillon Reservoir
Dillon Reservoir

There are nearly 350 campsites in the Dillon Reservoir area. Most of them are closed from early September through mid May. Below are five “east shore” campgrounds operated by the National Forest Service.


Campground
Commentary


Lowry Campground
Site has 24 camp sites at 9,388' elevation. Amenities: Vault toilets, water and garbage service. Fees are $16 per night, plus an additional $5 for an electric site.


Prospecter Campground
Site has 106 camp sites at 9,117' elevation. Amenities: Vault toilets, water and garbage services. Fees are $16 per night.


Peak One Campground
Site has 79 camp sites at 9,050' elevation. Fees are $17 per night. Amenities: Vault toilets, water and garbage service.

 Windy Point Campground Windy Point is available for group camping only and reservations are required (877.444.6777). 

Pine Grove Campground
Site has 33 camp sites at 9,062' elevation. Fees are $15 per night, plus an additional $5 for an electric site. Amenities: Vault toilets, water and garbage service.

External Links

Views to the west from the western slopes
Views to the west from the western slopes
Another view of the reservoir
Another view of the reservoir
Please share with me via Additions & Corrections any external information (such as trip reports) to link to this page in this section.