Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.94213°N / 108.88197°W
Additional Information Elevation: 9660 ft / 2944 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Diamond Peak is located in the remote northwest corner of Colorado. Situated far from the traditional climbing meccas of Colorado, Diamond sees few visitors. Its modest elevation of 9,660' attracts little attention as it rises gently above sagebrush plains. Diamond Peak cannot be seen from any paved road, which contributes to its sense of isolation.  Diamond Peak has a prominence of 2,870', and a relatively impressive isolation of 29.7 miles, which puts it at #14 on the Colorado Isolation List.  This makes Diamond Peak a worthy objective for those willing to venture off the beaten path.  

Getting There

From the small town of Maybell, drive northwest on Highway 318 until you reach County Road 10N. Turn right, and drive north through Irish Canyon. After 16.7 miles, turn left onto County Road 72. Drive 3.9 miles to a saddle at spot elevation 7804. This is the trailhead. Passenger cars can easily make the trip. There is a jeep road that heads up to the northwest from here. High clearance vehicles can drive further up the jeep road.

Red Tape

Diamond Peak is located on BLM land. This is a public access area.

Route Description

From the trailhead, start hiking up the jeep road. The road soon begins to switchback. There are two road junctions higher up. Stay to the left at both of them. The road heads west, then north to where it says “Drill Hole” at 9,300' on the topo map. Just before the road reaches the Drill Hole, it makes a sharp right curve. This is where you leave the road. Do not hike up to the Drill Hole.

From the curve, head northwest up forested slopes towards Point 9575. There is some downfall to contend with, and the trees are dense in spots. Your goal is to reach the 9,500' saddle between Diamond Peak and Point 9575. From there, climb west up easy slopes to the summit of Diamond Peak. The views are fleeting through the trees.

Additional Links

Diamond Peak Wikipedia Page

Diamond Peak Peakbagger Page

Colorado Isolation List


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.