Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.97003°N / 119.925°W
Additional Information County: Okanogan
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7956 ft / 2425 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Horseshoe Mountain is located in the extreme eastern end of the North Cascades.  The mountain and its namesake Horseshoe Basin is an area of beautiful sprawling alpine tundra with numerous easy to scramble summits and wide open views.
Unnamed Image
  

Getting There

From downtown Tonasket turn left onto Loomis Highway and drive 16 miles northwest to the town of Loomis.  Bear right onto County Road 9425 (Loomis-Oroville Road) and after two miles then turn left onto FR 39, Toats Coulee Road.  Follow this road, paved at times, for 13.6 miles.  Turn right onto FR Spur 500 (Irongate Trailhead) and drive 5.8 miles to the trailhead at the road's end.  FR Spur 500 is very rough and often requires high clearance.  

Route

Take the Boundary Trail to Sunny Pass, passing through forest burnt in the Tripod Fire of 2006.  Ignore the junctions passed within the first mile and keep heading straight on the Boundary Trail.  Pass out of the burn area at 3.3 miles and continue onwards and upwards.  At 4.8 miles reach Sunny Pass.  Beautiful Horseshoe Mountain lies on the right (east) side of the pass.  Turn right and in 0.1 mile turn onto the Albert Camp Trail.  Head up 1 mile to a 7700 ft shoulder and then traverse open slopes to the summit of Horseshoe Mountain.  

Red Tape

NW Forest Pass required at the trailhead.

When to Climb

Given the high trailhead elevation (6150 ft), Horseshoe Mountain is best climbed June through October.  

Camping

Primitive camping available at the trailhead.

External Links

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/horseshoe-basin-pasayten