Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.50401°N / 73.7742°W
Additional Information County: Warren
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1357 ft / 414 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview 

   Hackensack Mountain is a small mountain, but stands tall while overlooking the town of Warrensburg, NY. While not a huge mountain, it can be seen right off of the Northway, I-87 and cannot be missed while driving through Warrensburg. The trails to the summit are easy to moderate with signs along the way and at the summit. This is also a great hike for little kids, as the trails are short and not too steep. This hike can easily be done round-trip within 1 hour, but allow a little more time to take in the scenery and have lunch on top. If camping in the area or you're in town for one of the many events in the area, this is a nice little leg stretcher while not having to leave town. There are great views to the south and west also.  At one time in the 1970's there was a small ski slope called Blister Hill on the mountain, but it is now long gone.  There are 3 trailheads: Hackensack Ave., Prospect St., and one from the high school.


Getting There

   From Main Street (Rt. 9) in the middle of Warrensburg, NY, take Hackensack Avenue about 1/4 mile to the northern trailhead. There is no parking by the sign at the northern trailhead, but there is room for a couple cars on the side of the road just before the trailhead. For the southern trailhead, turn onto Emerson Ave from Main St. Take the second right onto Oak St, which turns into Sunset Ave and goes uphill. At the top of the hill, Sunset Ave and Prospect St meet and the trailhead will be on the left. There is ample parking at the southern trailhead.

Route

   There are trailhead signs with maps and trail distances at each trailhead. From either trailhead it's about 3/4 mile to the summit with 560 ft elevation gain. However, there are several trails around the mountain which could be combined in a variety of ways for a longer hike if one wishes.


Trail near Summit
Trail near Summit
  
   
   The trails are well maintained and fairly easy, but there are a couple short, steepish sections near the top. Not hard at all, just enough to add a little light scrambling for the kids though.

When to Climb

   This trail is well maintained and can be hiked any time of year and looks like an excellent ski decent in winter.

Camping

   No camping, fires, or alcohol allowed. There are camgrounds nearby with all types of camping and trailer/rv sites though.

External Links