Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.33492°N / 74.10353°W
Additional Information County: Franklin
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2457 ft / 749 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

   Baker Mountain is located in the McKenzie Mountain Wilderness in Saranac Lake, NY and is a nice, short hike that's good for all ages. This is a popular hike due to it's short length, views and closeness to town. This mountain is also part of the Saranac Lake 6er's Challenge (see link below). The trail is .9 miles one way with 900 ft of elevation gain and is well maintained with moderate/steep grades. The summit is covered in trees, but there are still some nice views to be had, mainly to the south and east. Near the top, the trail turns into somewhat of a herd path, so keep your bearings once you start to head down. This makes a good first time hike for kids, with enough scenery and varied terrain to interest them, and short enough so they don't get too worn out.

Getting There

   From Rt 3 on the north side of Saranac Lake, go south on Pine St for about 1/4 mile, then take a left onto Forest Hill Ave. Follow Forest Hill Ave for about 1/2 mile until you start to go around Moody Pond. The trailhead is on the left side of the road and marked well.

Route

The trailhead is easy to spot by Moody Pond and there is parking along the road. The trail is easy to follow and not too rough as it winds it's way up to the 2457 ft summit. 

Red Tape

There are no parking fees or parking lot for this trail. Parking is along the road, but there are homes nearby, please don't park in front of them.

When to Climb

   Any season is fine for this hike. Normal hiking gear in summer, but of course be prepared for the worst weather at all times in winter up in the Adirondacks. 

Camping

Folllow normal DEC regulations for camping in the Adirondacks. This is a short hike with no designated campsites, but there are many campgrounds, motels and other campingspots all over the area.

External Links

Baker Mountain in Saranac Lake