Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.89976°N / 122.10489°W
Additional Information County: Klamath
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 8126 ft / 2477 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The east face of Applegate Peak
The east face of Applegate Peak

Applegate Peak is located right next to famous Garfield Peak. Though Garfield is very busy during the summer hiking season many people do not venture out to the higher eastern neighbor in Applegate Peak. With just three additional miles and an off trail Class 2 scramble Applegate Peak is another special summit in Crater Lake National Park that is home to amazing views of Dutton Cliff, Mount Scott and many of the other amazing summits around Crater Lake.   

applegate peak
applegate peak

Getting There

If you are coming Medford, Oregon then take Highway 62 east to the south park about 65 miles to the South entrance (Mazama Village). From Klamath Falls take Highway 97 roughly 20 miles and then pick up Highway 62 to the south entrance Mazama Village. From Mazama Village head north 8 miles up to the Rim Village.

From Bend Oregon take Highway 97 south to Highway 138 west. Take that road to Diamond Lake Junction Make a left on Crater lake Highway and go to the north entrance. Once past the gate (National Park Fee) head south 13 miles until you hit Rim Village. 

Route

Winter and Early Spring: Keep in mind that the road closed much of the winter due to snowfall. Call before heading to this mountain in winter. Start at Rim Village. Go southeast about a mile to the Park Headquarters. Go southeast another mile, and then turn north, onto Garfield Peak. The mountain just to the east of Garfield is Applegate Peak (Applegate Peak is a little higher than Garfield). Go north to the summit. For Applegate Peak, go southeast from the Park Headquarters about 1 1/2 miles (past Garfield Peak). Go north to the summit of Applegate Peak. Full winter gear required and the road is often closed during the winter. 

Map of the Route
Map of the Route


Summer: Drive to the parking lot just beyond Rim Village visitors center and cafe. You will want to park just before the park's 1915 historic fancy hotel, The Crater Lake Lodge. Walk on the paved trail behind the Crater Lake Lodge all of the way to the Big sign marking the start of the Garfield Peak Trail. Take the easy, well maintained but somewhat exposed trail all the way to near the top of Garfield then traverse the ridge (Class 2) to the Applegate Summit. 

Red Tape

Crater Lake National Park does have an entrance fee in order to get in of $10 per vehicle and $5 per person. It does though accept the Golden Eagle Pass.

When to Climb

This peak can be climbed any time that the road is open. Most of the time in the heart of winter access to this peak can be much harder due to road closer. In spring and early summer an ice axe and traction device are advised due to snow sticking around on this summit into August during most years. 

Camping

Because of the close proximity during the summer to the busy Garfield Trail I would not advise to camp on this summit. Check out Mazama Campground

External Links

Applegate Peak Peakbagger Page.