Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 57.50736°N / 6.18451°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 2359 ft / 719 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Storr is famous summit at the southern end of the Trotternish, on the Isle of Skye, Scottland.  The beauty of the area and iconic stone formation "The Old Man of Storr" add to the popularity of the hike.

Getting There

Public Transport: Bus number 57 - 4 times a day from Portree - get off near Storr car park.
Car: Please see the map below.  There is a parking lot at the trail head.

The Storr - Road Map
The Storr - Road Map

Route

The Storr - Route Map
The Storr - Route Map

Pictured above is the well established "loop" that can be followed easily on ascent, but not so easily on descent.

Ascent:
  1. Hike from the parking lot, up through what appears to be a clear cut forest to the needles and the "Old Man of Storr".

    Old Man of Storr
    Old Man of Storr

  2. Head around to the north side; there is an impressive view of Loch Scamdal and the valley leading down to the Sound of Raasay.
  3. The trail now traverses across the north face and towards Coire Scamdal.  It is on this traverse that you can opt to climb the final 650 ft. up the north face direct (see dashed red line) at the expense of missing a view down Coire Scamdal; others in my party said the view was worth it, but I very much enjoyed the direct ascent up the face in the company of goats and flurries of hungry gnats.

    The Storr - North Face Route
    The Storr - optional north face route

  4. Ascend to the summit, and enjoy the view!

    The Storr - Looking South from the summit
    The Storr - looking south from the summit

Descent:

Our descent was heavily reliant on a GPS with a topo map.  If you don't have one, I can't recommend continuing on the loop as the route is not well traveled and you may take the wrong chute and end up on steep terrain or in a bog.  It is not possible to specifically describe the descent as we were making it up much of the time, but we are certain we did take the correct chute as there was a use trail above and below it.  The plain below the descent chute is boggy, be warned!  Also, finding a way over the barbed wire fence at the road involved some bush whacking and muck surfing.

The Storr - Descent Chute
The Storr - descent chute

When to Climb

People hike up this in all seasons.  We visited Skye at the end of August and can only say the weather was unpredictable and was windy/cold on the summit.  Definitely bring a wind and warmth layers.

External Links

Please visit WalkingHighlands for comprehsive imformation about this summit and all other peaks in the UK.  There is an excellent map viewer built in.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Isle of SkyeMountains & Rocks