Branches Mountain/Segelsen Ridge

Branches Mountain/Segelsen Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.36960°N / 121.73185°W
Additional Information County: Snohomish
Additional Information Elevation: 4700 ft / 1433 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Branches Mountain southeast summit from the west
Branches Mountain southeast summit from the west


Branches Mountain is the unofficial name given to a 4700' (1000' prom.) high point located 11 miles northwest of Darrington, WA. While only one mile southeast of Finney Peak, it is separated by a 3700' saddle, which effectively makes Branches Mountain the highest point on Segelsen Ridge. Branches Mountain receives its name from something of a geographical oddity: the North Branch, Middle Branch, and South Branch of the North Fork Stilliguamish River all originate within one-half mile of each other on the mountain's east flank. 

Branches Mountain has two distinct summits, separated by two-thirds of a mile, which are both enclosed by a 4680' contour. For simplicity's sake, I will refer to them as the northwest and southeast summits. Truthfully, the northwest summit (probably the true summit) is not that interesting - having never been logged, the views are somewhat disappointing. The southeast summit, on the other hand, has been completely logged off, and probably has the best 'near drive-up' views of any peak on 'Logger's Island' (that area contained by the Skagit, Sauk, and North Fork Stilliguamish Rivers). 
 

Getting There


There are two ways to access a 4400' quarry located just southeast of Braches Mountain's southeast summit - both originate in Darrington. For the simplest route, head north from Darrington on SR530 - after 5.8 miles, turn left onto Christian Camp Road. After 1.1 miles on Christian Camp Road, turn left onto an unmarked Forest Service road (can be easy to miss). After 2.5 miles, turn left at a major intersection, just south of Texas Pond (elev. 1610'). After 0.4 miles, you will arrive at another intersection (clearly marked): FR28 is on the right, and leads to Branches Mountain. FR2811 is on the left, which is an optional routing (described below) to get to this point. (To clear up one point of potential confusion: some old maps show FR28 as originating off of the North Mountain Road, and closely following the North Fork Stilliguamish River on the east bank - this section of road has been decommissioned.) 

Begin downhill on FR28, which will cross the North Fork Stilliguamish River after 1.8 miles. FR28 will then closely follow the river's west bank for another 1.8 miles to an intersection. Take the right fork, and continue up FR28 (ignoring minor spurs) to a major five-way intersection in 10.8 miles (Yes, it is a lot of gravel road, but how often do you get to drive to the top of a mountain?). At the five-way intersection, stay left, and continue to an obvious, 3900' saddle in 0.6 miles. If you really like your car, park here. If you are a little braver, continue another 0.4 miles to another saddle at 4280'.
 
Branches Mountain southeast summit from south
Branches Mountain southeast summit from south. This photo is taken from the 4280' saddle just below the quarry.

If you don't really care that much about your car, continue yet another 0.2 miles to the aforementioned gravel quarry at 4400'.

Quarry parking area for Branches Mountain
Quarry parking area for Branches Mountain

Optional routing (good for those combining this peak with North Mountain): From Darrington, follow SR530 north for one mile, and turn left on North Mountain Road/FR2810 (look for sign pointing to Whitehorse Park). Follow North Mountain Road/FR2810 for 6.6 miles to an intersection. Ignore the right switchback, which leads to the North Mountain lookout, and continue straight ahead. You will now be on FR2811 - follow it north for 2.6 miles to the aforementioned intersection with FR28.
 

Route

Branches Mountain route map
Branches Mountain route map. Red line shows the driving route up FR28, blue line shows scramble routes. Yellow line shows the Segelsen Ridge road, green line shows a potential (untested) connector route. White line shows a side trip to the Segelsen Ridge viewpoint.

From the gravel quarry, scramble up easy slopes north, then west, to the southeast summit. It is probably slightly easier to ascend via the left (west) side of the quarry. Either way, if you find yourself doing anything more difficult than class 2 scrambling, you are probably doing something wrong. Use caution as you approach the summit area - there are substantial cliffs on the north side of the summit ridge.

Branches Mountain southeast summit from the east
Branches Mountain southeast summit from the east

The summit area will provide pleasing, 360 degree views, with a particularly nice North Cascades panorama.

Branches Mountain southeast pano
Branches Mountain southeast pano. L to R - Glacier Peak, White Chuck, Pugh, Sloan.

Branches Mountain northeast pano
Branches Mountain northeast pano. Too many peaks to list, but Teebone Ridge is on the left, Eldorado just right of center, Forbidden, and many others. 

Branches Mountain north pano
Branches Mountain north pano. L to R - Twin Sisters, Baker, Shuksan.

Branches Mountain southeast summit pano
Branches Mountain summit pano

For those who feel like they need a little abuse (I'm talking to the prominence peakbaggers), the northwest summit is just a short scramble away. The easiest route is to continue following the gravel road (somewhat overgrown) past the quarry, scramble up and over the ridge west of the southwest summit, down to the 4200' saddle, then straight up to the summit.

Branches Mountain northwest summit from southeast summit
Branches Mountain northwest summit from southeast summit. Finney Peak can be seen just behind the northwest summit.

There are very few views to be had on the northwest summit, but there are a couple of nice meadows (pretty accurately shown on the USGS map) at about 4500'. There is a small summit register, which is completely waterlogged.

Meadows near Branches Mountain northwest summit
Meadows near Branches Mountain northwest summit

Finney Peak from Branches Mountain northwest summit
Finney Peak from Branches Mountain northwest summit

For those who would like to do a little less driving, at the cost of a little more scrambling, there is a potential third approach to Branches Mountain from the Segelsen Ridge road. I have not personally tested this route, but it looks reasonable. From the Whitehorse Store (five miles west of Darrington on SR530), turn north onto Swede Heaven Road. Follow it for 1.5 miles, then turn right onto FR18. Follow FR18 for 10.6 miles, then turn right on the Segelsen Ridge road. The road (not suitable for low-clearance vehicles) will become too rough for passenger vehicles at about four miles, which is almost the end of the road, anyway. From this point, it appears that one-half mile of straightforward scrambling will bring one to the 4280' saddle just south of Branches Mountain. For those who are interested in a side trip, there is a short path originating at the very end of the Segelsen Ridge road. This path leads up to a rocky promontory, which has nice south through northeast views. 
 
Segelsen Ridge viewpoint
Segelsen Ridge viewpoint

South view from Segelsen Ridge viewpoint
South view from Segelsen Ridge viewpoint. Whitehorse and Three Fingers on the left, Round Mountain on the right.

Branches Mountain from Segelsen Ridge viewpoint
Branches Mountain from Segelsen Ridge viewpoint. Finney Peak on far left, Mount Baker between the northwest and southeast summit, Sauk Mountain on right.


Red Tape

No parking passes or permits are required in this area.

When to Climb

Access to this area would be best from June through November, when the roads are not snow covered.

Camping

This is public land, and camping is permitted - I'm just not sure why anyone would want to.