Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.20901°N / 122.81°W
Additional Information County: Lake
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4840 ft / 1475 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Clear Lake from High Glade fire lookout
Clear Lake from fire lookout.
This is one of the best viewpoints in the Clear Lake area.  A well graded dirt road with remarkable views as well climbs to over 4,200' in the southern part of the Mendocino National Forest to a pass. The High Glade fire lookout is about a mile up another road. The summit area is open and the views out over the north Clear Lake area are truly exceptional. To the north and east rise Goat and Snow Mtns.. To the west and northwest other prominent peaks like Cow Mtn. Middle Mtn., Horse Mtn, Big Signal Peak and Hull Mtn. dominate the horizon.

Getting There

 
Descend High Glade near summit
Road to summit looking west to Horse Mtn.
 
Pass next to High Glade
Pass at 8 mile junction to peak
At the junction of Hwy. 20 and Hwy. 29 go .5 miles east to Mendocino Ave. on Hwy. 20 (Elk Mtn. Road). Go left on Mendocino Ave. 1.5 miles (with a few turns) to Pitney Lane. Take Pitney .8 mile to Sam Alley Rd.. Take Sam Alley 8 miles  (1st mile paved and  well graded enough for most all vehicles)  to the pass. The peak with the lookout tower is about a mile up to the right. Park off road at the pass.

Route

 
The road to the peak with the fire lookout above
road to peak with lookout tower ahead
 
High Glade summit area
North from summit area  this must be the "High Glade"  of trees but barren in January.
A ranger told me the road to the Fire lookout is open sometimes. When I was there it was closed near the pass.
If the gate to the top is closed: Go up about 200 yards around the locked gate. Just past the gate is a level graded area with roads going left and right. Stay right. Walk up about half mile and continue up to the left at a fork. The Fire Lookout is visible up to the left.
You can go part way up the steps of the tower.

The road to the top could be questionable for some low riding vehicles.

Red Tape

 
Snow Mtn. from High Glade
Snow Mtn. from High Glade
For general rules etc for Mendocino Nat. Forest click here.

When to Climb

 
Goat Mtn./Pacific Ridge from High Glade
Goat Mtn. from High Glade
Year around. The forest roads could be closed due to snow or washouts. Check with the Ranger Station for road conditions

Camping

 
Cortina and Blue Ridge from High Glade.
West to the Central Valley from High Glade
For Mendocino National Forest camping click here.

Weather and 10 day forecast

 
Panorama of north Clear Lake from High Glade
Panorama of north Clear Lake from High Glade
Click here for the forecast for Upper Lake