Strucín

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 52.03487°N / 9.6528°W
Additional Information County: Kerry
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1444 ft / 440 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Strucín (Strickeen) is a 440 meter point on the nose of the west ridge at the entrance to the Gap of Dunloe / Bearna an Choimin and is located about 20km WSW of Killarney / Cill Airne, Ireland on the oppoosite side of Lough Loch / Leane Léin.  Strucín is the northernmost point of the Macgillycuddy's Reeks - known locally as "The Reeks" - the range in which Carrauntoohil / Corran Tuathail, the highest peak in Ireland is located. 

The trail up to the ridge plataeu and Cairn Jct. is a series of gentle switchbacks up a wide, sometimes rocky, trail. Once upon the ridge plateau, its a short walk across a dry marsh, and then up the short summit nipple.

Roundtrip time up and down, including looking about, taking photos, selfies, etc. is about two hours. 

Strucín is worth a trip up as it offers spectacular views of the entire valley and lakes to the north and east. Additionally once up on the ridge/plateau there are many 700+ meter peaks to the south which can be climbed.

A lot of locals come up here, so you won't be alone!

While Strucín is only 440 metres, remember that Ireland is an Island and despite the low, almost non-existent altitude, the weather on top can be very dangerous with wind speeds exceeding 70 kts, as well as icy and snowy conditions during the winter months.
If you are NOT dressed properly, save it for another day!

Getting There

Fly to Shannon (SNN) its hours closer than Dublin!

From Cill airne (Killarney):

From N71 / N72 roundabout in Killanrey (Cill airne) take the N72 west approximately 5km to a left turn. There will be signs indicationg "Ring of Kerry", "Gap of Dunloe" and "Kate Kearney's Cottage. Take this road south about  3.9km.  At approx. 3.9km the main road swings to the right and there is a turn to the left up a short rise. Turn left up this road. Follow this road about 2km south, - you'll cross a longer and newer bridge - to Kate Kearneys' Cottage on the left and a Coffeeshop on thge right. There is lots of parking here.

* * * If you cross a short, narrow - as in one car - stone bridge about 4.2 km after you turn off N72, you're on the wrong road. Go back about 300m from the bridge and turn Right * * * 

The road continues past this point into the Gap of Dunloe and up to Black Valley, and is a spectacular drive through the gap and its lakes and which I highly recommend. But be forewarned: The road becomes very much a one lane affair past this point. While there is parking for 3~4 cars at the TH, the best way to do this is to park down at Kate Kearney's Cottage and walk up the road about .800m to the TH.

When you get back to your car, stop into Kate's have a Pint. (Of Guinness of course! Come on man, you're in Ireland!) and if it's a weekend there kitchen is open from 12:30, so you can have a nice, hot bowl of soup by the fire.

Route

The trail head is very obvious and starts on the left of a large boulder with a Kerry Mountain Rescue sign affixed to it.(READ THE SIGN AND PAY ATTENTION!)  Follow the switchbacks up to what I refer to as Cairn Jct.  at about 407m - it will be obvious as there are three distinct cairnes here - then follow the obvious single track  to the WSW across the plateau and up the summit nipple at 440m.

Red Tape

There is no red tape that I am aware of.

When to Climb

Strucín can be hiked anytime of the year however exercise caution during wet weather as the trail down, while not steep, can be extremely slippery. As previously mentioned, during the winter months, extreme conditions can exist on the top. Dress accordinlgy. 

Maps, Charts & Nav Info

Ordnance Survey Ireland Map: Macgillycuddy's Reeks SCALE 1:25,000
Garmin: EIRE Discoverer - Full Country 1:50K

External Links

I found an outdoor shop in Killarney who were very helpful with advice on the surrounding peak conditions and routes. They also have Ordance Survey maps for sale. www.kerryoutdoorsports.com
Ireland National Mapping Agency: www.osi.ie