Bald Mountain (Kaisoots Mountain)

Bald Mountain (Kaisoots Mountain)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.96750°N / 121.961°W
Additional Information County: Whatcom
Additional Information Elevation: 5481 ft / 1671 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview










Bald Mountain from FR3140
Bald Mountain from FR3140


Bald Mountain (not to be confused with the 4574' Bald Mountain in south Whatcom County) is a 5481' peak located 27 miles northeast of Bellingham, and 15 miles northwest of Mount Baker. Bald Mountain is located on what I believe is private timber land, but don't be fooled by the fact that this peak is surrounded by logging roads. The upper portion of the mountain has a decidedly alpine feel, offers steep scrambling, and has great views. Bald Mountain boasts a respectable 1262' of prominence, and shows a fairly impressive profile from a number of vantage points in the North Fork Nooksack River Valley.

Bald Mountain from Kendall area
Bald Mountain from Kendall area

Note: Bald Mountain is normally a fairly quick and easy scramble, but this assumes one can access FR3140 from the Canyon Creek Road (FR31). At the time of this writing (3-27-15), FR3140 is closed at the 0.5 mile point due to a washout. Please contact the Forest Service beforehand to check road conditions, or be prepared for a long hike/bike ride.

Bald Mountain from the east
Bald Mountain from the east


Getting There


From the I-5/Hwy 542 interchange in Bellingham, follow Hwy 542 for 35.5 miles to Canyon Creek Road (FR31). Turn left onto Canyon Creek Road, and follow it for 7.3 miles to the start of FR3140 - Canyon Creek Road will be mostly paved to this point. FR3140 will be a left hand turn immediately after crossing Canyon Creek on a large bridge.

Bald Mountain from Canyon Creek Road
Bald Mountain from Canyon Creek Road

Assuming FR3140 is open, follow it for 5.7 miles, at which point you will arrive at a three-way intersection (shown as 4219T on USGS maps). Normal passenger vehicles will want to stop here, as the road deteriorates beyond this point.

If FR3140 is closed, hike or bike the road for 4.7 miles, at which point you will arrive at the creek draining from Bald Lake (3840'). FR3140 has a fairly gentle overall grade, so a mountain bike is recommended.

Note: There is a sign at the beginning of FR3140 that suggests this area is used as a Snow Park in the winter. I have no information regarding what months Snow Park regulations are in effect - again, this might be a good question for the Forest Service.


Sign at beginning of FR3140 on Bald Mountain
Sign at beginning of FR3140 on Bald Mountain
 
If, for some crazy reason, you would like to access Bald Mountain on logging roads from the west, the Sierra Pacific road starts at Hwy 542, 2.3 miles east of Maple Falls. Using this 'trailhead' would involve substantial elevation gain and distance relative to the FR3140 route. I will leave it to you and Google Earth to sort out a route if you decide to come this way. The only possible benefit I can see from using this road is combining with Black Mountain for a '2fer'.

Sign on optional Bald Mountain approach road
Sign on optional Sierra Pacific approach road. Located at N48 55.675 W122 02.032 Elev. 630'.


Route

Bald Mountain route map
Bald Mountain route map. Blue line shows normal driving route up FR3140. Red line shows normal 'no snow' route, yellow line shows an early season alternative.


From the intersection at 4219', take the left fork to its end in 0.6 miles. From the end of the road, make a slightly rising traverse through second growth to the southwest - after about 500', you will intersect the logging road that passes just to the east of Bald Lake. From this point, you have two options - option 1 is easier with no snow cover, option 2 is easier with snow cover: 

1. Turn right, and follow the road to its end in 0.7 miles (don't miss the turn at 4523T). From the road end, traverse about 600' south, at which point you will be in a fairly open basin at 4700' (just to the west of Bald Lake).
 
2. Turn left, and follow the road a short distance to Bald Lake. From here, you can join the optional 'yellow routing' as shown on the route map. Traverse around the north side of Bald Lake (slightly easier than the south side), then continue uphill to the aforementioned basin at 4700'.

Bald Lake and Church Mountain
Bald Lake and Church Mountain. Bearpaw Mountain on left.

A third option (best if FR3140 is closed) is to follow Bald Lake's outlet creek from FR3140 to the lake. This option is shown in yellow on the route map.

From the basin, make a steep, 300' ascent to a 5000' saddle just northwest of Bald Mountain's summit. This slope should be avoided if avalanche conditions exist.

First slope from 4700' on Bald Mountain
First slope from 4700' on Bald Mountain

Looking down the first slope from 5000' on Bald Mountain
Looking down the first slope from 5000' on Bald Mountain. Bald Lake is out of view beyond the right edge of the photo.

From the saddle, drop slightly, and make a south traverse to another steep slope. Ascend this slope for 300', until arriving on a shoulder at 5300' just southwest of Bald Mountain's summit. This slope also needs to be avoided in avalanche conditions - please note that it is possible to ascend in the trees to the right of the gully.

Looking up the second slope from 5000' on Bald Mountain
Looking up the second slope from 5000' on Bald Mountain

Looking down the second slope from 5300' on Bald Mountain
Looking down the second slope from 5300' on Bald Mountain. The saddle at 5000' can be seen in center of photo.

From the shoulder at 5300', make the short climb east on open slopes to Bald Mountain's massive, flat summit. The true summit is on the north end, and is marked by a rock cairn. On the USGS map, it is marked as 'Bearpaw'. Since Bearpaw Mountain is located five miles to the E/SE, I am assuming this was labeled in error. There are a few online maps that refer to this summit as Kaisoots Mountain (caltopo, for example). I am not sure where this name originates from, and I was not able to find an online reference for it.

Bald Mountain summit
Bald Mountain summit

Based on its position and prominence, Bald Mountain should have fantastic views. Unfortunately for me, the summit clouded in, stealing much of the view I was hoping for. If anyone has better Bald Mountain summit panos, please feel free to contribute to the cause.

Mount Baker from Bald Mountain
Mount Baker from Bald Mountain

American Border Peak and Tomyhoi Peak from Bald Mountain
American Border Peak and Tomyhoi Peak from Bald Mountain

Liumchen Mountain (BC) from Bald Mountain
Liumchen Mountain (BC) from Bald Mountain. Mount McGuire (BC) in background.

Twin Sisters from Bald Mountain
Twin Sisters from Bald Mountain. Groat Mountain on the left.

North Fork Nooksack Valley from Bald Mountain
North Fork Nooksack Valley from Bald Mountain

Bald Mountain east pano
Bald Mountain east pano. Canyon Creek valley in center of photo. 


Red Tape


A parking pass is not normally required for this area. As is mentioned above, a Snow Park pass may be required in the winter.

When to Climb


Assuming FR3140 is accessible to vehicles, May through November would probably be the best time to access this area.

Camping


Technically, camping is probably not allowed in this area. Truthfully, nobody would probably care if you chose to camp on the summit or at Bald Lake - I saw no sign specifically prohibiting it at the Sierra Pacific gate. For those who wish to stay perfectly legal, Canyon Creek Campground is just across the bridge from the start of FR3140.
  


Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
metasyn11

metasyn11 - Jul 6, 2021 6:20 pm - Hasn't voted

2021 update on road conditions

Road 3140 is freshly graded from Canyon Creek Road all the way to the end, suitable for driving in all passenger vehicles. The last 1/2 mile on spur road 250 is very rough and should probably be walked for most vehicles.

ShinyPlanter - Mar 3, 2023 8:03 am - Hasn't voted

Sierra Pacific Road ?

Does anyone know whether the road referred to as the "Sierra Pacific" road is actually gated at the intersection with Hwy 542? I've seen this road labeled as U.S. Forest Service Road 3678 on another map and am wondering if the signage indicating that vehicle access is by permission only is enforced/enforceable if the road is not gated.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2