Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.18230°N / 122.784°W
Additional Information County: Lake
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4772 ft / 1455 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mayacamas Mtns. and Mt. Konocti
Southeast from Windy Point area
Windy Point (along with Windy Ridge, see Bob Burd's trip report) is at the northern end of the Bartlett Mountain massif in the Mendocino National Forest just north of Clear Lake. Well graded dirt roads lead to within 2 miles of the open summit which is on private property. Pinnacle Rock and Little Pinnacle are also peaks on Bartlett Mountain to the south.
Windy Point is definitely a worthwhile objective and one of the prominent peaks beyond the north end of Clear Lake. It has outstanding views especially to the east and south.

Getting There

Bartlett Springs Rd. Summit.
Bartlett summit, 16N01 goes left here

From the northeast From the junction Of Hwy. 29 west of Upper Lake take Hwy. 20 7 miles southwest along the lake shore just past Nice to the Bartlett Springs Road.
From the east: From the junction with Hwy. 53 just east of Clearlake Oaks take Hwy. 20 16 miles northwest along the lake shore to Bartlett Springs Road.
Drive up Bartlett Springs Road as it winds up for 6.1 miles to Bartlett Springs Summit. At that junction take forest road 16N01 which goes to the left and follow it 1.3 miles to a T in the road at the Batrlett Mtn. summit ridge.
Go left at the T (right is 16N01, left is Deer Valley Rd.)  about a mile on Deer Valley Rd. to a locked gate barring further passage and park off to the side.

Route

 
Nat. Forest sign to Windy Point
 
2nd locked gate leading to Windy Point
2nd Locked gate to Windy Point summit clearing
Road to Windy Point above.
Road to Windy Point above 
It is a 4 mile round trip walk up and back to the summit with a total  gain of about 800' gain in elevation. At about a half mile beyond the gate is a junction with a National Forest sign pointing right to Windy Point. Take that right about a mile up and around the ridge to Windy Point. There is another locked gate to the left going up to Windy Point summit. Follow it about another half mile to the open summit area.

Red Tape

 
Along the road to Windy Point
Posted signs
 
Clear Lake and Mt. Konocti
Clear Lake from Bartlett Springs Rd
This is on private holdings within the National Forest. There are signs posted.
Use your own discretion.

When to Climb

 
East from Windy Point
East from Windy Point
Year around but depending on road conditions. They could be washed out or snowed in. Call Mendocino Nat. Forest for current conditions.

Camping

 
North from Windy Point
North from Windy Point
Click here for camping in Mendocino National Forest.

Current weather and forecast

 
West from Windy Point area.
West from Windy Point area
Click here for current weather and forecast for Nice.