Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.28316°N / 121.82534°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 6306 ft / 1922 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Part of the Cascade range volcanoes, located near Sisters, Oregon, in the Mount Washington Wilderness area. This little gem is a short hike east of Belknap Crater on the Pacific Crest Trail.  It is a 2.2 mile hike from PCT trail head on OR-242 Just west of Dee Wright Observatory. Near the summit are some lava tubes. On clear days, from the summit Three Finger Jack, Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Washington, Black Butte, Black Crater, North Sister, Middle Sister, Little Brother, are the nearby mountains that can be seen. Another .5 mile hike will put you at the base of Belknap Crater, which is worthy of the hike to the summit for the views it gives.
     Restroom facilities available at Dee Wright Observatory. Please practice Leave No Trace principles in this area for future hikers and outdoor enthusiast to enjoy.

Getting There

From Sisters take OR-242 west to  McKenzie Pass Scenic HWY, PCT Trail head located approximately .5 miles west of Dee Wright Observatory.
     From Eugene/ Springfield take HWY 126 East to the OR-242 McKenzie Pass Scenic Hwy to the observatory, and a restroom break, backtrack approximately 1/2 mile to the trail head on the right/ north side of the road.  

Route

Trail head starts out sandy thru tree islands, turning to golf ball, and larger sized volcanic scree, approx. 2 miles to Summit. Easy hike, kids would enjoy. Summer months can be hot, bring ample water as there is none on this route.

Red Tape

Wilderness permit required, free and available at the trail head. A Northwest Forest Parking permit is required.

When to Climb

Spring and summer. Gates located on OR-242 are subject to be closed during winter months. Conditions for the McKenzie Pass area can be found at the McKenzie Ranger District.