Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.60894°N / 118.86785°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Ventura
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6733 ft / 2052 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A tough and remote day hike in Los Padres National Forest, Cobblestone is off trail, yucca filled, and waterless. However, the challenge is rewarded with spectacular views and a bit of Sierra Club history. Cobblestone is #137 on the Sierra Club Hundred Peaks List. As you might suspect from the name, a lot of the mountain is made up of conglomerate rocks resembling cobblestone. To get to Cobblestone, you need to go up and over Sewart Mountain (6,841'), head off trail to a saddle between the ridge and Cobblestone, then work your way to the top. The register is an aluminum box bolted to a boulder and dedicated to Jack Cross, a charter member of the Los Padres chapter of the Sierra Club. The USGS benchmark was placed in 1941 and is in near mint condition. There are many obstacles along the way, mainly in the form of dead trees from a past fire. Hurdling the trees on the way out and back can be tiring. The Buck Creek Trailhead is at the end of a series of dirt roads. Plan at least an hour of travel on dirt roads to get to the start. Finally, the gate at Piru Creek crossing is closed during winter and typically opens in May. Because of the heat, you might want to do this hike in Spring or Fall. Cobblestone is often climbed along with White Mountain #2 (6,253'). High clearance vehicle recommended on the dirt roads.

Getting There

The trail starts at Buck Creek Trailhead.

Please refer to driving instructions from the Sierra Club HPS Cobblestone page.

Route

  • From the parking area, take the road toward Sewart Mountain. There was a register in a boulder at the high point.
  • Follow the road over Sewart down and to the right. There was a lot of dead fall from a fire and the road may be overgrown in places. At the saddle, the road turns into a single track.
  • In about two miles, there was an old wooden sign that said "Stewart Mountain 3 1/2, Alamo Mountain 8". A rough use trail descends on the right toward the saddle to Cobblestone. Another option is to stay on the trail until you get near the saddle, then descend cross country to the saddle.
  • At the other end of the saddle, look for a use trail that heads up the ridge. It drifts a little to the right before the summit comes into view. The summit has a rare aluminum register box usually not seen outside of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
  • If you continue straight along the ridge, the trail heads to White Mountain #2.

Red Tape

No hiking permits are required. Adventure Pass may be required for parking. Contact the USFS at (661) 245-3731 for information about the status of the seasonal gate at the Piru Creek crossing. The gate is often closed until May.

When to Climb

Gate to the trailhead is closed during winter. The mountain is open all year, but the trailhead is not. It is hot in the summer.

Camping

Camping is available at Buck Creek.

External Links

Sierra Club Hundred Peaks Section guide