Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.54880°N / 125.39855°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6591 ft / 2009 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt Harmston is part of the Cliffe Glacier group of peaks toward the southern end of the Comox Range. It is the 15th highest summit on Vancouver Island and is a popular climb in large part because of its status as one of the Alpine Club of Canada - Vancouver Island Section, Island Qualifiers. The peak appears on the eastern skyline of Strathcona Park as a steep, dark tower with a characteristic sloping southeast ridge. Its relatively remote location and setting high above Milla Lake makes Harmston especially alluring.

Getting There

Because of its isolation in the centre of the Comox Range access to Mt Harmston is almost equally challenging from either side of the mountain. The most direct route is via logging roads in the Cruickshank and Kweishun Creek valleys. The main issue here is getting through the often locked gate at the north end of the Comox Lake Main logging road. First stop for planning  trip to Mt Harmston via this route is to TimberWest's public access blog. How long this route remains viable is questionable as there is very little timber left in the Kweishun Creek and the road is prone to flood damage so it is likely this road will deteriorate quickly. The next closest route is via the Glacier trail over the Comox Glacier, this route as the same logging road access issues but with eh advantage that the road to the trailhead is likely to remain drivable.

Route

The usual route up Mt Harmston is up the Southeast Ridge. Reach the toe of the ridge from the lower Cliffe Glacier up some loose choosy moraine. The ridge is an easy hike up a nice heather-covered crest. The ground steepness toward the top and the last 50m or so is up a 3rd class gully onto the summit.

Camping

Backcountry camping within Strathcona Park must be more than 1km from a road. Otherwise the considerations are as for all backcountry overnights: practice strict leave-no-trace, don't flag or otherwise mark any hiking routes and remember that no fires are permitted in Strathcona Park backcountry at any time of year regardless of the Provincial Fire Ban status.

Guidebooks & Other Links

Local guidebook Island Alpine Select.
Avalanche Conditions: Island Avalanche Bulletin
TimberWest's public access blog.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Vancouver Island AlpsMountains & Rocks
 
Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.