Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.54907°N / 121.06948°W
Additional Information County: Kittitas
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6573 ft / 2003 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The region east of Mt. Daniel contains many good climbing objectives that get overlooked. North Paddy-Go-Easy Peak is definitely one of them. This peak shows up on USGS quads as Point 6573, but like many summits in Washington, it is far more deserving of an official name than many other peaks in other states. North Paddy-Go-Easy Peak offers a real challenge to scramblers. It features a ridge approach, tricky route finding, cliffy terrain, and a summit with great views. Furthermore, it is very enjoyable from the standpoint of the solid and textured red rock (Peridotite), which is common in this and the Teanaway regions. This is a fun jaunt when you've got only one day and you want something fun and interesting.

Snoqualmie Pass Peaks
Snoqualmie Pass Peaks
North Paddy-Go-Easy Peak
View north of North Paddy-Go-Easy Peak

Getting There

Drive I-90 East from Seattle to Exit 80 (Salmon La Sac). Pass through the towns of Roslyn and Ronald and continue to Salmon La Sac. Continue nine miles past Salmon La Sac and cross over the Scatter Creek crossing. This creek is underground most of the summer, but in early season, this crossing can be a real challenge. About 0.7 miles past the Fish Lake Guard Station, find the trailhead on the right at 3400 feet. Ample parking areas exist at the trailhead.

North Paddy-Go-Easy Peak
Mt. Daniel from North Paddy-Go-Easy Peak

Route

Climb the Paddy-Go-Easy trail a very steep three miles to about 5800 feet where you will leave the trail. You will see red talus to your left. Your objective will be to skirt the bottom of the talus fields through very open and easy forest for about 1/2 miles. Do not continue to Paddy-Go-Easy Pass. The trail will take you far out of the way and you approach the peak from the North, not the South. 

Continue North skirting underneath your objective. At 1/2 mile, you will notice a broad gully breaching the cliffs. This is the most direct route to the summit, and has the benefit of avoiding the climb over the false summit. Climb this gully to the top and head south under the east ridge of North Paddy-Go-Easy. Follow a system of ledges and ramps to the summit. Alternatively, you can climb to the pass north of North Paddy-Go-Easy Peak by continuing another 1/4 mile pas the gully. This offers more of a ridge climb experience, but you will also encounter a nasty break in the ridge after the false summit. There are two ways around the false summit. The preferred route climbs directly over the false summit and down to a notch where the gully route joins the ridge route. Continue to the summit as described in the gully route option. Stats: About 10 miles roundtrip: Elevation gained: About 3,200 feet. Time to summit: About 3 to 4 hours.
North Paddy-Go-Easy Peak
Climbing the Ridge beyond the false summit

North Paddy-Go-Easy Peak
Climbing over false summit of North Paddy-Go-Easy Peak
Crux of North Paddy-Go-Easy Peak
Crux of North Paddy-Go-Easy Peak


Red Tape

This area lies within the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. Self-service permits are available at the trailhead. The trailhead has no improvements such as an outhouse, so there should be no permit required to park.
Down climbing from summit
Down climbing from summit

North Paddy-Go-Easy Peak
North Paddy-Go-Easy Peak

When to Climb

Like most areas east of the Cascade Crest, this area can get hot in summer. Preferred climbing seasons are in the spring and fall. Beware of hunters after mid-September.

Down climbing approach gully on North Paddy-Go-Easy Peak
Down climbing approach gully on North Paddy-Go-Easy Peak


Camping

This area is pretty dry in the summer except for snowfields, but the terrain very suitable for camping. The best camping is at nearby Sprite Lake, which is about 1 mile south of Paddy-Go-Easy Pass. The main trail will not go to Sprite Lake. You will have to head south along a system of unofficial trails, or hike the ridge south of Paddy-Go-Easy Pass to reach the lake. Great views to the Cradle exist here. This is the preferred base camp for climbing the Cradle.