Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.57539°N / 113.35914°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Iron
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8347 ft / 2544 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Stoddard is a high, forested dome located halfway between Cedar City and Newcastle in Southern Utah. As a mountain objective, it is only slightly more popular than neighboring Three Peaks Mountain. However, it does get climbed a few times each year. It is only a 2.5 miles to the summit, but has about 2000 feet of elevation gain.

Getting There

From Cedar City head west on State Route 56 for a little over 16 miles to Pinto Rd. Turn left and drive for 1.2 miles to a pullout on the left. Park here. 

Route

The ascent begins initially on the Duncan Springs trail, heading through a meadow before ascending up and around the north and then the east side of a hill. Head southwest. Eventually the trail heads south-southeast. After approximately 1.5 miles, look for cairns on the right side of the trail. Take this side trail and begin heading towards a prominent horn a few hundred feet above the trail. The object at this point is to find a way to a saddle on the far (southwest) side of the horn. A direct route up the crag would likely be class 3 or 4. Pick whatever looks like the easiest route and work your way through dense brush to the saddle.
From the saddle, head southwest, where there will be a more visible climber/deer trail to follow. The ascent begins in earnest at this point. Climb up steep dirt and rocks to reach the first false summit. Once you reach this sub-summit, follow the broad ridge southwest and then southeast as it contours over multiple false summits to reach the high point. A small cairn and summit register in a glass jar mark the peak of the mountain.
Alternative route: when we climbed it in November, we mistakenly traversed horrible brush on the east flank of the mountain to eventually reach a steep talus slope that led to the summit ridge. While the brush en route was awful, the rocky slope to the summit ridge was quite enjoyable. It could be possible to follow the Duncan Springs trail to near the base of this slope and climb it to the ridge. I cannot vouch for the brush between the trail and the talus slope, however, but I imagine it could be horrendous.
Descent:
Return the way you came.

Red Tape

None

When to Climb

Spring, summer and fall present the best conditions. Winter could feasibly be a fun snowclimb, since the Pinto Rd. is generally snow-free and the route to the summit is only about 2 miles.

Camping

Lots of dispersed camping all around the area.

External Links

Newcastle weather here.