Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.76302°N / 121.06434°W
Additional Information County: Chelan
Additional Information Elevation: 5023 ft / 1531 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A shot north from the summit
A shot north from the summit

Strange things apparently occur at Stevens Pass. After all when you have a summit nearby unofficially called Welldiggers Ass you are going to think that things are very weird. To go with the thing of strange and weird things the locals nearby decided to name the sub-peak to the west of it Mount Weird. I would not believe expect that I saw a sign on Welldiggers Ass point to the other summit and named it Mount Weird. The unofficially named Mount Weird only has 140 feet of prominence but has recently gain popularity as a good second destination to Welldiggers Ass. This peak should only be done in winter when there is a lot snow. It is a good snowshoe destination with prime access off of Highway 2.

Welldiggers and Arrowhead
Welldiggers and Arrowhead from Mount Weird

The true summit itself barely has any views because it is completely forested. One can if they search get somewhat of a view to the north but this is very limited. However if one head a hundred feet to the east they can see an excellent view of Welldiggers Ass and Jim Hill. It should be noted that the gap between Mount Weird and Welldiggers Ass also has excellent view of the surrounding area.   

Taken from the saddle between Mount Weird and Welldiggers Ass
Taken from the saddle between Mount Weird and Welldiggers Ass

Getting There

VIA STEVENS PASS: Take Route 2 to  two miles  east Stevens Pass. Stevens Pass is located 20  miles east of Skyomish and 30 miles west of Leavenworth. You want to park in Stevens Pass Ski Area overflow lot on your south side 2 miles east of the main ski area. There will be a building that is marked no tresspassing and no parking to the right of the building. That is residence for the workers of the ski area. The large parking to the left is the overflow and is legal to park there. From there you want to go to the right of the building where you will pick up the route to the summit of Welldiggers Ass.Add Getting There text here.

Route

Mount Weird Map
Mount Weird Map

The route up Mount Weird is very simple. Take the well travelled ski/snowshoe path up. This is in summer a road walk but in winter it usually has snowshoe track a lot of the way up the mountain. From there just navigate all the way to the top of the forested summit where very limited views await. If you go a hundred feet to the east excellent views open up toward Jim Hill, Welldiggers Ass and the Chiwaukums.

Flocked trees on the summit of Mount Weird
Weird flocked trees on the summit of Mount Weird

 

Red Tape

Provided you park in the ski resort overflow lot on the south side of US 2, there will be no fee.Add Red Tape text here.

When to Climb

Just east of the summit of Mount Weird
Just east of the summit of Mount Weird

This is primarily a winter and early spring simple snowshoe destination. I would go somewhere else if I was looking for a good summer and fall destination.

Camping

There is really no reason to camp on Mount Weird. It is close to the highway and is now becoming a snowshoe destination

External Links

Mount Weird on Peakbagger


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.