Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.01633°N / 121.5137°W
Additional Information County: Snohomish
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 5800 ft / 1768 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Wolf Peak elevation 5,800 is a sub peak NEE of Vesper Peak located on the saddle between Vesper Peak and Sperry Peak.  The views looking down to Copper Lake and the beautiful granite ridge connecting to Big Four Mountain are extremely visible from Wolf Peak.  From the summit also lends great views on the Vesper Glacier.  It's a great scramble if someone wants more of a challenge than the standard route on Vesper and Sperry Peaks.
Wolf Peak Views
Lake Elan
Lake Elan

Wolf Peak Views

Getting There

From Seattle take I-5 North to Exit 194. Follow Highway 2 East for 2.3 miles, stay in left lane, go to Lake Stevens Highway 204 East, in 2.2 miles take left (north) on Highway 9 to Lake Stevens, in 1.7 miles take right (east) on Highway 92 to Granite Falls, in 8.4 miles turn left (north) to Mountain Loop Highway. Follow for about 30 miles to the Sunrise Mine Road on the right. Road dead ends in about 1 mile where parking is limited to one side of the road. Leave room for others to turn around.

Remember to display your Northwest Forest Pass so you don't get a ticket.

Route

The trailhead and approach of Wolf Peak share the same directions as Vesper Peak.  Take the beautiful drive on the Mountain Loop Highway and the head south onto Sunrise Mine Road to the very end of the road.  Follow the Vesper Peak trail until you reach Lake Elan.
Morning Star Peak
Morning Star Peak
  Once your at the lake, Wolf Peak is the highpoint located between Vesper Peak and Sperry Peak on the connecting ridge.  Hike around the left side of the lake to the north west corner then start to pick your route up.  You will go up about 400' from the lake and reach a small saddle between Vesper Peak and Wolf Peak.  From this location you can view the Glacier below. 
Glacier View
Glacier View
  From here head to the climbers right along the ridge until your to the small summit block of Wolf Peak.  Here you'll find small veggie belays to scramble to large stacked granite blocks.
Vesper Peak
Vesper Peak
View Below Summit
View Below Summit
Most the moves are exposed class 2 & 3 with one final class 4 move to reach the small summit.  The easiest route to the summit is more difficult than close by Vesper and Sperry Peaks.
Class 4 Section
Class 4 Section

Red Tape

n/a

When to Climb

Spring/Summer are best
High avalanche danger during the melting months in the Upper Basin. Carry an avalanche probe and/or beacons if backcountry skiing.

Consult the Verlot Ranger District office.

Camping


Camping is abundant along the Mountain Loop Highway towards the trailhead. (Gold Basin/Verlot/Turlo)  Also spots to camp at Lake Elan on the granite slabs. Contact the Verlot Ranger Station for more info.

External Links

Add External Links text here.