Lingmoor Fell

Lingmoor Fell

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 54.43847°N / 3.09211°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 1539 ft / 469 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lingmoor Fell and its summit of Brown How lies on the ridge dividing the Langdales. Whilst of no great height, it does provide a wonderful viewpoint for very little effort.

The Fell is in an area formerly heavily quarried but which apart from one that crushes old debris for the supply of roadstone they are now all redundant and overgrown with moorland vegetation.

From the upper slopes views can be gained to the north of Great Langdale and its Pikes. To the west lies Scafell the highest point in England and to the east, Windermere the longest lake.

Great Langdale
Great Langdale
Looking towards Scafell
Looking towards Scafell

Blea Tarn
Blea Tarn

Getting There

See the main Lake district page.

The English Lake District

Route

An interesting route can be had by ascending from below Side Pike which lies above the Great Langdale National Trust campsite, then skirting the rugged south face of Side Pike via a squeeze and following dry stone walls to the high point.

Side Pike squeeze
Side Pike squeeze


From there you can pass the old quarries above Elterwater, descend through woodlands to follow the Great Langdale Beck back to the campsite. This round of just under 11km makes a great tour.

Bluebell time
Bluebell time

Red Tape

None.

When to Climb

Year around.

Camping

The National Trust campsite in Great Langdale has excellent facilities and is close to the excellent Sticklebarn hostelry, also owned and excellently run by the National Trust.

National Trust Campsite - Great Langdale
National Trust Campsite - Great Langdale

External Links

 The National Trust

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

The Lake District (UK)Mountains & Rocks