Twin Peaks (Gadsden Peak)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 31.96092°N / 112.81965°W
Additional Information County: Pima
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2615 ft / 797 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Twin Peaks, also known as Gadsden Peak on some maps, is a small mountain located in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. It makes a nice destination if you're in the area to climb some of the bigger peaks on the Desert Peaks Section list (e.g. Mount Ajo) and can probably be done in 2 hours if you stick to the route described below.

Getting There

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument is about 76 miles south of Gila Bend, AZ. From the Kris Eggle Visitors Center, head north on North Puerto Blanco Drive. A short ways after the road changes to dirt, park so that you're south of the east-west running ridge of Twin Peaks and north of what I believe is staff housing. You should have a clear view of the saddle to the west (see route description)

Route

From the road, head west toward the obvious broad saddle SSW of the peak. After reaching the saddle, work your way clockwise (west and north) around the base of the peak until you reach a broad class 2 chute. You'll probably find a few cairns and a use trail that heads up toward the summit. At the top of the chute, head left toward the high point.

As tempting as it might be, do not try to follow the ridge starting from the road. You'll encounter much more difficult terrain, including a break in the ridge that most will find daunting long before getting anywhere close to the summit. I spent a good bit of time and effort trying to navigate before deciding to work my way down the steep, cactus covered slopes and essentially start over.

When I was researching this peak, I found a trip report (not on Summit Post) claiming that this was done as a quick climb from the main campground in Organ Pipe National Monument. I'm almost certain that the person who posted that report did not climb Twin Peaks. The description was nothing like what I had encountered and in all likelihood they climbed unnamed Peak 2229, which is much closer to the campground. The fact that the camp ground is named for Twin Peaks probably adds to the confusion.

Red Tape

There is a $5 fee for driving the monuments back roads. This fee covers driving in the park for 7 days. There is also a $3 per person fee for visiting. However, visitors may instead purchase a National Parks Pass, which costs $80 (as of 2016) and allows unlimited visitations to all national parks and federal lands for a year, or purchase an Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument annual pass for $15. Online information on Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument is available, or call the monument at (520) 387-6849.

When to Climb

Twin Peaks is located in the Southern Arizona desert at a low elevation. Summers can be brutally and dangerously hot. Winter, late fall and early spring are generally OK, but the days can get warm even then. Be sure to check the weather before you go.

Border Issues

Illegal border crossings are common in this area and you'll probably encounter some signs of activity on the way to the summit including makeshift campsites and use trails. See the safety section of the NPS website for more details.

Camping

Your best bet is to camp at the main Twin Peaks Campground south of the visitors center. It's nearby, fairly comfortable and even has heated showers. Other options include a small number of primitive campsites scattered throughout the park and back country camping. Inquire at the visitors center for more details, especially since there are strict rules regarding where you can camp.

External Links