Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.19350°N / 112.04867°W
Additional Information County: Coconino
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 8147 ft / 2483 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Though not technically a peak, this is still one of the finest viewpoints on the North Rim, if not the whole of the Grand Canyon. With a paved trail the whole way except the last few feet to the top of the rock knob, this hike is likely one of the better hikes in the park as well as one of the easiest. 

Getting There

Please refer to the directions on the Grand Canyon page to reach the North Rim. Head behind the Grand Canyon Lodge, where the trail will be obvious and well-marked (and that's a serious understatement.)

Route

Just follow the well-traveled, paved trail out along a narrow finger of land reaching out into the canyon, where spectacular views will be afforded the entire way. Climb as many or as few of the small knobs along the way as you want, but the point referred to as Bright Angel is at the end of the short, scenic trail, with a USGS marker of some sort at its apex.

Red Tape

You've got to pay the park fee, but aside from that none.

When to Climb

This hike can be done just about year-round, but it's probably best to avoid the middle of summer, and it should be noted that the North Rim is high enough to close in the winter months due to snow. Sunset and sunrise are arguably the prettiest times of day to hike it, and the middle of the day is often scorching anyways.

Camping

If you're willing to shell out the cash, there's camping abundant available in the park.

Improvements?

Please leave me something in either the Comments or Additions & Corrections section about how I can improve this page. 

Images

Please feel free to add any images of this peak.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
surgent

surgent - Oct 22, 2016 3:20 pm - Voted 1/10

Expand on it.

1. There are other hikes that arguably have more bang for the buck in the National Park. 2. This hike cannot be done year-round. The North Rim is "closed" for roughly 5 months of the year. ("Closed" as in the highway there is closed. If you can somehow get to the North Rim in winter, then yes, this short hike can be done) 3. You have no photos?

Clubbox42

Clubbox42 - Oct 24, 2016 1:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Expand on it.

Thanks for the feedback. I´ll try to put up as many photos as I can, but the camera had some issues. The North Rim winter closure was an obvious oversight, fixing now.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.