Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.53609°N / 112.07325°W
Additional Information County: Sevier
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11227 ft / 3422 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Monroe Peak is the highest point in the Sevier Plateau, which rises nearly 6,000 feet above the town of Monroe, Utah. The treeline here is higher than in the Wasatch to the north so the forest stretches to the top of the peak excluding the last rocky 100 feet or so. The easiest way up is to drive the dirt road from the Monroe to the summit. However, there are stops along the way that would make for some adventuresome scrambles and hikes to the summit.

fall aspen on Sevier Plateau

fall aspen on Sevier Plateau

Getting There

Take the main street in Monroe south and go left at the fork at south end of town. This is Forest Road 078, which will take you past Monrovian Park Campground, Mud Spring, Devils Dutch Oven, and eventually to the south side of the peak. At this point, turn left at the brown sign indicating Monroe Peak Road. The remaining distance is only a couple miles. Most 2WD vehicles can make this but I'd use caution if the weather has been wet.
Fall On the SW Slope
Fall On the SW Slope

Route

From the end of the road, walk 100 feet to the summit.

Red Tape

The area sits in Fish Lake National Forest.

When to Climb

Any time of year would be great to get to this peak though the road would likely be impassable in the winter. Best bring some skis, snowshoes, and/or a snowmobile.

Camping

There are a few campsites at the Monrovian Park Campground in Monroe Canyon to the west of the peak. You can even stay in a old bus at Mystic Hot Springs on the east side of Monroe.

External Links

Mystic Hot Springs is a great place to get in a soak while in the area. http://www.mystichotsprings.com/


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sevier PlateauMountains & Rocks