Ajax Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Fred Spicker

Fred Spicker - Feb 6, 2005 3:23 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Nice page and Peak.



Given that you have a choice of which state to put it in - my vote would be for MT :-) Esp. since even Lopez says that it is better climbed from the MT side.



Climbers Guide to MT states: "The east ridge has a little C-rated climbing." C-rated = Class 4.



Actually, you can make the heading indicate Montana / Idaho by not choosing a state and writing it in the space provided for other countries. However, then the link in the side bar (that now says "Mountains of Idaho") becomes "Mountains of Monatana / Idaho" and does not take you anywhere - brings up an error message.

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Feb 6, 2005 9:53 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very nice page! Well done!

-Britt

Scott

Scott - Feb 6, 2005 9:55 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good page.



One suggestion: From the information on the page, I have no idea how long the climb is or how long the climb to the summit takes. It would be good to add the information, or to add a route page with the information.

IdahoKid

IdahoKid - Feb 6, 2005 2:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I have to agree with Scott in commenting that it would be helpful to the reader if you informed us how long the approach is from either the Idaho or Montana side. Otherwise, nice pics, good information, great page!



Whether its in Idaho or Montana is a tough one, yes, the easier access is on the Montana side, but the book states it is in Idaho. That would be like saying Grand Targhee is in Idaho because it is the only way to get there. But its debatable.

Klenke

Klenke - Feb 6, 2005 2:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

This peak totally blends in with its surroundings. :-) You can hardly see it.



I suppose there's a Bismarck Peak and a Hood Peak nearby.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Feb 6, 2005 4:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Now this is what I would call a pyramid. Or a triangle. Nice page!

wildstar

wildstar - Feb 7, 2005 12:07 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Well done page.

Joseph Bullough

Joseph Bullough - Feb 7, 2005 10:08 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good work...

bakcast

bakcast - Feb 7, 2005 11:56 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Thanks for posting, I have enjoyed your recent pages.









montanaboy

montanaboy - Feb 8, 2005 12:53 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

bakcast,



Thanks for the input. As far as directions go, the road ends at the east end of Ajax lake. From here you proceed west to the far end of the lake and then gain the south ridge which will take you to the summit.



I would say Ajax Peak might be the best area for some skiing, with road access all the way up. I am sure that the gate is closed at the west end of Miner lake campground for access to Homer Youngs.



Hope that helps and sorry for any confusion on directions.

tlogan

tlogan - Feb 7, 2005 2:52 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice work.

Saintgrizzly

Saintgrizzly - Feb 7, 2005 7:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

To further complicate the "where is it?" question, Ajax Peak is listed in the Montana NGS Topo set, but it certainly seems to be pretty much dead-center on the Idaho/Montana boundary. (02/10/05 - I see SP Montana has acquired this peak! I suspect either MT or ID would be correct--and we could live with either--but in this case Fred's comments below make a lot of sense. Glad to see the additional pics, too!)

Interesting, also: should the peak be listed as in the Beaverhead Mtns, or the Bitterroots? The Beaverheads are definitely listed as being part (a sub-range?) of the much larger Bitterroot Range. (I've also listed this topic on the "Message Board - Rockies - What's New Montana" - in the belief it'll be seen by more SPers--I think it's an interesting topic.)

Nice page, Michael--like I've said before, though, I like your pics enough to wish for more of them! Maybe something from the actual summit, or close to it.

idcanuck

idcanuck - Jul 15, 2008 5:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Idaho or Montana?

I hiked to the top of this last year and was always under the impression the peak was in Idaho, even though I accessed it through Montana. It was a great peak, very majestic. I have done a bit of research on the subject and most references I have seen put it in Idaho. If you go to google earth and zoom in on the borders, it seems the actual peak of Ajax is just to the left side of the border, putting it in Idaho.

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'Ajax Peak' main page