Big Craggies Comments

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Jun 17, 2006 11:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Outstanding...

...and thorough route description. Many thanks.

Dennis Poulin

Dennis Poulin - Jun 26, 2006 9:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Outstanding...

Thanks.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Jun 17, 2006 11:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Memories

I did quite a bit of mapping in obscure areas of the Kalmiopsis -- stayed with Ruth and Perry Davis at Emlly Cabin in 1978, and ventured out on many trailess hikes. 4000'+ may not seem like much to the average SPer, but I could often see the Pacific Ocean, so that should give some idea of the "prominence". I remember hiking over the ridge south of Vulcan Peak, and the ridge far to the east, as well as on many ridges around Josephine Creek and the Chetco River. It's an interesting area -- 100" of precipitation mainly in the fall, winter, and spring -- so there is plenty of water -- and dry summers.

Dennis Poulin

Dennis Poulin - Jun 26, 2006 9:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Memories

Thanks. It is still a beautiful area even though most of it burned in the Biscuit Fire.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jul 21, 2006 3:04 am - Voted 10/10

Nice

Wondered about these for a while. Now, there is beta. Thanks!

Hey, how did things go in Alaska??

Dennis Poulin

Dennis Poulin - Jul 22, 2006 1:51 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice

I pulled up lame at about 15,600ft. Pulled calf muscle. I'm going back next year. Do you want to join me?

Nick Turtura

Nick Turtura - Apr 20, 2013 4:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Growth is coming

The biscuit fire burned everything and left a jungle of rhododendron skeletons. Which is something we all know and are ready for, However as time has passed, now 11 years, the terrain has changed a bit. The new growth that has come up is now over 6 feet and intertwined with the dead. The dead stuff is finally starting to rot, thus wherever you step the dead stuff breaks away. For instance, If you are traversing, (pretty much the whole thing) everything below you is breaking way and making you slide down so you are constantly grabbing at stuff to keep you on the mountain. 50% that stuff is dead and breaks away. I followed the posted Topo and spent the majority of the time crawling. Trying to walk the traverses just ended up in too many slides and tumbles. Knowing it was going to be bad I wore work gloves and thick Carhartt pants. By the time I returned my pants where extensively ripped. If planning this peak caution should be taken with time constrains as well a physical exertion to do all the crawling/climbing through brush. I am an Ironman athlete my partner is a 3:30 marathoner and this climb WIPED US OUT. Cramps, nausea the whole bit. I think in a couple of years the dead stuff will be more sparse and the living bushes will be more solid, I just think it's at a difficult in between stage right now. Everything else is spot on.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Big Craggies' main page