Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12
Dean

Dean - Dec 7, 2007 6:52 am - Voted 10/10

Another gem

Well done page as always. You really put together some of the nicest pages put up on SP. There is also a Canaan Peak in Utah, found in Garfield county which comes in at #100 on the Utah 100 highest prominence peaks.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Dec 7, 2007 11:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Another gem

Thanks Dean, I thought this was a neat mountain so I decided to make a page for it. I have also been to the Canaan Peak that you mention which is on the way to Escalante. I recommend that one and nearby Table Cliff Plateau.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 7, 2007 12:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Another gem

I would like to second what Dean said.

cp0915

cp0915 - Dec 7, 2007 10:05 am - Voted 10/10

Awesome addition

Nice job on the page, and a perfect addition. I've been meaning to get to Canaan for a few years. When will it ever happen? Perhaps this winter or next spring!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Dec 7, 2007 11:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome addition

Thanks Courtney! Wow, a mountain near Zion that you haven’t climbed yet? I’m sure you will go there soon. I thought it was a very interesting mountain with good views from the top.

cp0915

cp0915 - Dec 7, 2007 12:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Awesome addition

Oh believe me that it's on the to-do list. Frankly, though, as much as it appeals to me, I think the mountain hasn't made it to the top of the list yet because folks told me that the actual highpoint was a real slog to get to. I'm one of those 'gotta-touch-the-actual-top' types!

But, again, great job on the page. It renewed my interest in the mountain. I expect I'll get there this winter or spring.

CP

cp0915

cp0915 - Dec 7, 2007 12:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Awesome addition

Yeah, I saw that. Perhaps a snow climb would be more enjoyable...?

nader

nader - Dec 7, 2007 10:27 am - Voted 10/10

Canaan

I vaguely remember a verse of a poem by the 14th century Persian poet "Hefez" saying something about "Joseph returning to Canaan...".

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Dec 7, 2007 11:51 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Canaan

Thank you! Utah has a lot of mountains with religious names especially in the area around Zion National Park. I learned a lot from reading about what they mean and where they are from.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Dec 7, 2007 1:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Are there any West face routes up there?

Also, maybe Tanya's Canaan album is worth attaching here!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Dec 7, 2007 2:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Are there any West face routes up there?

Thanks, I attached her album to it. It was her info and photos on Canaan Mountain that made me want to climb it. I don't think there are any hiking or scrambling routes up the west face. The only ones that I know are from the south and northwest corner near Eagle Crags. Then there are some dirt roads on the east side of the mountain.

Nelson

Nelson - Dec 8, 2007 12:34 am - Voted 10/10

Inspiring

I've only managed to do some day hikes down in that corner of Utah (Zion and Bryce), but this really make me want to spend some more time down there. Great job, thanks for posting.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Dec 8, 2007 11:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Inspiring

Thanks Nelson! There are a lot of great hikes near Zion and Bryce. The best places are off the beaten track and not seen by most tourists like this mountain. Southern Utah has hundreds of these hidden canyons and mountains. If you have the opportunity, I recommend exploring more of this area.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Dec 22, 2007 7:46 pm - Voted 10/10

The concluding chapter of Krakauer's book

"Under the Banner of Heaven" is actually called "Canaan Mountain" - and it opens with a view from the plateau rim down towards Hildale, and a semi-OT philosophical little piece on links between the Utah landscapes and the beliefs of the imminent Second Coming. In Krakauer's view, seeing this country in the throes of death reinforrces the Millenial beliefs.

... and I couldn't help thinking, what about these guys on ATVs who tear up the parts of the plateau they could reach ... and by extension those who plunder the ruins and the caves, and shoot up the petroglyphs ... and mine uranium and build acid rain-spewing power plants ... what if they are all a part of the Last Days' script too, destroying Mother Earth and thus hastening the End of Times?

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Dec 23, 2007 3:00 am - Hasn't voted

Re: The concluding chapter of Krakauer's book

Thanks Mockba. The history of Canaan Mountain is very interesting and complicated. Religion can be a touchy subject on SP and I try to be as fair as possible. Many of the names of mountains in Utah are based on religion so I think it is okay to talk about them. I know about the book “Under the Banner of Heaven” and feel more inclined to read it now after you mentioned it.

I don’t understand why people would want to destroy the mountain but there are a lot of things that I don’t understand. Canaan Mountain is a great hike but seeing all the jeeps, ATVs, and motorcycles on the plateau isn’t pretty and ruins the wilderness. It was still fun and I recommend it since it isn’t the mountain’s fault that they are up there.

The people that live in Hilldale are members of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints which is a break away sect of the Mormon religion. They certainly picked a beautiful and secluded place to live. They won’t be reading this though since they aren’t allowed to use the internet because that gives access to the outside world.

You have a good interpretation on Last Day’s script and the hastening of the End of Times. Isn’t that why they make those neat little storage rooms in all the houses in Utah. Everyone seems to be prepared for it already since they have stocked up on food and water for several years.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Dec 24, 2007 1:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: The concluding chapter of Krakauer's book

I know about the book “Under the Banner of Heaven” and feel more inclined to read it now after you mentioned it
I should say that I kind of avoided reading it for a long time, thinking that Krakauer's reputation and the charged topic wouldn't make anything good together. But it turned out to be a good read. BTW near Hilldale, he climbed a couple of mountains in the company of a very knowlegeable local, the town's jack-fundamentalist high school science teacher. I thought it was a very interesting touch.

Religion can be a touchy subject on SP
although probably a fair game when describing the history, and the present aura, of specific mountains. But you are right, it was an interesting coincidence that I was reading Krakauer's book so soon after the controversial God-in-High-Places piece on SP. Cuz Krakauer also had his take on what these mountains imprint on people's spirituality, and he saw something quite different. In his view, the "Message of the Mountains" is divine wrath, destruction, and upheaval rather than creation and healing. I really find the span between these two views fascinating!

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Mar 23, 2008 10:08 pm - Voted 10/10

ATV rationalization

You may find the ATV rationalization interesting, if not a little disturbing.

They feel they have always been using ATVs there, despite the fact that ATVs didn't become popular till after the area was put off-limits (1970's). What the article doesn't mention is that the average ATVer on Canaan is an incredible pig who will drive drunk and fling beer cans all over the place, while ripping up the entire top of the mountain. They don't have to arrest them for breaking the motorized vehicle laws; if they simply give them tickets for littering and drinking while driving, they will put most of them away.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Mar 23, 2008 11:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: ATV rationalization

Thanks for the article. I noticed a lot of garbage on top of Canaan Mountain including beer cans and bottles thrown everywhere. A group of ATVers offered us some beer while we were hiking down the mountain. One guy said that we looked tired and thought we were crazy for hiking up the mountain instead of driving! I was a little sad to see all of the “roads” that they had created up there. This actually doesn’t surprise me though. There is a lot of corruption in that area and laws are broken daily.

andrew david

andrew david - Mar 19, 2013 12:02 am - Voted 10/10

Happy I Found this Page

I have had this on the to-do list for years. Great page and I gave it a 10 like every single other voter, though I do think it could be slightly improved by a mention of water (if any) on the plateau.

The next nice ATV person I meet will the first. I better make it a priority to get there before the area is ruined any further. A friend and I camped near the edge of a cliff once two years ago (Frances Peak north of Salt Lake) and all night we had ATVs driving drunk around us. They nearly drove into us once and had our tent not been there for them to notice, they may have gone over the edge. I suppose its better than driving drunk through a school zone.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Mar 19, 2013 1:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Happy I Found this Page

Thanks! I will add some info about water to the page. You're correct, I didn't see any water on the plateau at all. I think the only time you may see water is in potholes right after it rains. After leaving the bottom of Water Canyon, I suggest carrying all of your water for the day since you may not find any up higher.

I met a group of ATV riders near the White Domes while coming back down from Canaan Mountain. They came up from a different route and were surprised to see me. They laughed and asked, why would anyone want to hike when they could just ride ATVs everywhere. I really didn't know how to answer...

Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12
Return to 'Canaan Mountain' main page