Viewing: 1-5 of 5
freedeep

freedeep - Mar 24, 2020 9:44 am - Voted 7/10

More fake names to mountains

I used to work for the U.S. Government in Yellowstone National Park. We never used fake names for features, Period. Use of fake names is confusing and misleading.
I see these fakes names on various over-the-counter topo maps. If you like fake names, that is your choice, but don't push it off on the world like this is correct. We should all stick to what is shown on the USGS topographic maps, in this case the Castle Mountain Quadrangle map. There is no darlene mtn shown, Period.
This misleading naming is just like other maps that show wrong names for Navajo Tarn Lake and Varve Lake.
In the photos I have included a copy of the USGS topo map for the Castle Mountain Quadrangle.
I do not support the undocumented naming of the west peak (to the name darlene), which in itself is a name that has no similarity to the naming convention of all the other peaks in the area. Internet search of USGS database shows no use outside of this website, and no documentation.
Be honest.

Scott

Scott - Mar 24, 2020 11:18 am - Voted 10/10

Re: More fake names to mountains

Internet search of USGS database shows no use outside of this website, and no documentation.

The name appears on the LOJ list which only includes names marked on maps and guidebooks, but I don't know the original source.

Edit: The name Darlene Mountain has been in use for decades and is published in the book Montana Mountain Ranges (1985).

I used to work for the U.S. Government in Yellowstone National Park. We never used fake names for features, Period.

I know this isn't true beause Yellowstone National Park (as well as many other national parks) use many names for features that aren't on the USGS maps.

freedeep

freedeep - Mar 26, 2020 8:53 am - Voted 7/10

Re: More fake names to mountains

When I worked there, no fake names on official documentation is what I should have said. My boss at the time, the YNP Geologist, R. Hutchinson, would never have allowed me to submit reports with non-official names. Casual conversation might allow it, but even that was frowned on.
Google search come up with no LOJ list, beyond List of John. Maps and guidebooks make up there own names, which is what I was referring to in my original comment. The image I posted of Castle USGS top map for the area, no other name shown of course.

Marmaduke

Marmaduke - Mar 27, 2020 9:45 am - Hasn't voted

Re: More fake names to mountains

I would like and appreciate Scott's perspective and others on this site that have been instrumental on having such an impact on it's development. There are virtually thousands of mountains on this site where the authors have labeled the peak/mountain "Mount Bliss" and usually they add "point 11, 573 feet". All have the GPS coordinates as well, I'm not sure why there would be any confusion. I understand in a field of government business, but for this site.....I think it's all perfectly fine. Like I said, would be great to hear from others who have built this site up so extremely well.

Scott

Scott - Mar 29, 2020 5:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: More fake names to mountains

no fake names on official documentation is what I should have said.

This isn't even remotely true. There is plenty of official documentation in Yellowstone with names that aren't on the USGS topo maps (or "fake names" as you refer to them). For example, the following features are at Mammoth Hot Springs:

Angel Spring 1
Angel Spring 2
Angel Spring 3
Aphrodite Terrace
Baby Terrace
Bath Lake
Blue Springs
Canary Spring
Cavern Terrace
Cedar Tree Spring
Cheops Mound
Cleopatra Terrace
Cupid Spring
Dedolph Spring-a
Dedolph Spring-b
Dedolph Spring-c
Devil's Kitchen Springs (The Sodas)
Devils Thumb (Hot Spring)
Fan Spring
Fissure Ridge
Glen Springs
Highland Terrace
Hymen Terrace
Ladies' Lake
Liberty Cap
Little Burper
Little Joker
Little Lucifer
Main Springs and Terrace
Marble Terrace
Minerva Terrace
Mound Terrace
Naid Spring
Narrow Gauge Terrace
New Blue Spring
New Highland Terrace
New Pallette Springs
Opal Terrace (across the road from Liberty Cap)
Orange Mound Spring
Painted Pool
Palette Spring
Paperpicker Spring
Poison Cave
Poison Spring (Gaseous Hot Spring)
Prospect Springs and Terrace
Pulpit Terrace
Rath Spring and Terrace
Reservoir Springs
River Styx-a
River Styx-b
Sidewalk Spring
Soda Spring (Bargar-Allen & Day)
Squirrel Springs and Squirrel Ridge
Sulphur Pits
Sulphur Spring
Tangerine Spring
The Buttress
The Esplanade (Hot Spring)
The Grottos
Trail Springs
White Elephant Back Terrace

Here is a map on the NPS website (scroll down) showing many of the places listed above, none of which are on the USGS maps:

NPS Website Link to Mammoth Hot Springs

Are you trying to say that the NPS website and the accompanying maps are not official documentation? What about the signs identifying these features?

Here is the USGS map of Mammoth Hot Springs and the surrounding area. Where are the names of the features, all of which are used in official NPS documentation, labeled on the map?

Link to USGS Map

Have you asked the NPS to remove the names of such features listed above from their maps, trail signs, and website? If not, why?

Is this report, identifying Liberty Cap, which is not on the USGS map, "official documentation"?

Liberty Cap

The NPS Website even has a "Cool Facts About Yellowstone" page.

Here is one of the "Cool Facts":

What is Liberty Cap

According to the NPS website: "Liberty Cap is a 37-foot (11-m) cone created by a hot spring that was active in one location for a long time".

I can find a lot of official NPS documentation mentioning the "Yellowstone Caldera", which is not labeled on the USGS maps. Yellowstone Caldera is on plenty of official Yellowstone documentation, including in geological reports.

These are just a few examples. I just picked one tiny area of Yellowstone (Mammoth Hot Springs) and mentioned the caldera.

We could also mention trails. With the exception of the Yellowstone River Trail, all trails I can see on the USGS maps of Yellowstone are simply labeled "pack trail" or "foot trail". This includes both the backcountry trails and the trails around tourist areas such as Old Faithful. Do you really want to claim that the NPS doesn't attach names to these trails just because the names of the trails aren't labeled on the USGS maps? Do you really want to claim that none of the trail names are in "official documentation"?

Like other National Parks, Yellowstone used plenty of names that aren't on the USGS topo maps.

Or can you show me where the USGS map(s) show all the names mentioned above, all of which are used by the NPS/Yellowstone National Park?

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Castle Rock and Darlene Mountains' main page