Cholatse Comments

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
BigLee

BigLee - May 12, 2007 8:43 am - Voted 10/10

Cholatse Page

This is one of the best Asian pages on SP and a genuine tool for planning an attempt. Great photos as well. Thanks for the work. Lee

RobSC

RobSC - May 12, 2007 2:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Cholatse Page

Thanks Lee. My trip to Cholatse was one of the best trips that I've ever done. Feel free to contact me if you're ever planning an attempt and have any other questions. Within the next several months I'm hoping to add additional pictures.

cragrat - Sep 19, 2010 1:33 am - Hasn't voted

Cholatse

For reference
a NZ team made an ascent (F.A?) of the rib on the R of the west face in 1992 Marty Hunter, Cam Falkner and Derek Chinn. After their ascent the 4th team member Australian Adam Darragh soloed the route.
There is a report in the 1992 NZAlpine Journal pg 65

RobSC

RobSC - Sep 19, 2010 4:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Cholatse

Thanks for the info! I believe that this route was first climbed in 1988 by Greg Collins, Andy Selters and Tom Walter. They did, though, stop a pitch or so short of the actual summit (after the route had merged with the Southwest Ridge route) due to the lateness of the hour, so the New Zealand team may have been the first to follow this route all the way to the summit. Tom Walter and Andy Selters did then return to the peak a few days later and make the first ascent of the ridge separating the north and west faces of the peak. This time they continued to the highest point.
Tom was my NOLS instructor when I took a NOLS course back in the mid 1980's and he provided some very encouraging words to me prior to our 1993 ascent. Sadly, he was killed on Mt. Foraker in the early 1990's. He has definitely been missed over the years...

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Cholatse' main page