Copper Butte Comments

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
desainme

desainme - Jan 10, 2004 9:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

A new idea is broached here: the difference between peaks elevation and the elevation of a nearby saddle. This difference is called the prominence of the peak and Copper Butte by this ranking is #10 in Washington. Fine pictures too.

Dean

Dean - Jan 10, 2004 9:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for being the first to vote on this brand new page, it is appreciated. The prominance thing is a real interest to a group of climbers here in the NW and they chase them very actively, regardless of whether they have to rope up or simply walk up. SP'er rfbolton is one of those who is really into prominance and there is even a web site (Yahoo group) for those with this interest.

Again, thanks a bunch for taking the time to vote and to make comments. The only thing that was truly notable about this Peak was all of the bear sign (fresh), it had me a little unnerved since I was solo.

Klenke

Klenke - Jan 10, 2004 10:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Another one I intend to climb next summer (probably right after Abercrummy). Thanks.



BTW, here and on Aber page: prominence.

Dean

Dean - Jan 10, 2004 10:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Ah, the "e" instead of "a" situation (corrected, thanks to you) I was hoping you had some pics of Copper Butte since I can't seem to locate the one or two I took showing the whole mountain (such as it is) Well, next year I can depend on you for posting some pics of both Copper Butte and Abercrombie.

Thanks for the vote, as always, it is appreciated.

Klenke

Klenke - Jan 10, 2004 11:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I've been over Sherman Pass (Oct. '96) but I only have pics of the peaks immediately next to the pass--probably either Sherman Peak, Snow Peak, or Columbia Mountain. The forest appears as an old burn. This may be the same burn as the one you mentioned (1994). I recall my little sojourn across SR-20 coming back from Coeur d'Alene as beein a scenic one. Nice rolly hills and dales of grasses with the odd old tilted barn amidst.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jan 10, 2004 11:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

As usual, an excellent page.

Jerry L

Jerry L - Jan 11, 2004 6:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Another "lesser" peak. Another dynamite page with some interesting links. Well done.

JonBradford

JonBradford - Jan 11, 2004 9:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Dean,

Nice page. Thank you for sharing a "lesser" summit... I may be spending some time at Whidby Island this spring so I am enjoying the preview of Washingtons mountains.

Jon

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Jan 12, 2004 12:45 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Dean,



We've come to expect nothing but excellence from your pages, and this is no exception. Also, it's good to see you starting to take some interest in prominence. When the available county highpoints start being too far away for comfortable weekend trips, maybe you'll join me on some prominence outings!   



Keep up the great work!!



Bob

rpc

rpc - Jan 12, 2004 11:23 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page Dean!

Another E. Washington beauty.

Radek



PS You're killing me Dean :) - that Johnson book, 50 Hikes for E. Washington's Highest Mountains.........a book I haven't seen/heard of before and one I must now own!!!!! ooouch!

Dean

Dean - Jan 12, 2004 4:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Gotcha Radek. You sound like a book-a-maniac like me. I can't rest until I get the latest book, especially if it has to do with the mountains. I have books dating back into the early 60's (Joe Brown, Chris Bonington, Gaston Rabuffet (sp?), etc) and I've reread some of these several times. My wife wants to know how we're going to ever move if I keep buying books. BTW, thanks for your vote and your comments. I hope to meet you someday. Take care.

Dean

rpc

rpc - Jan 13, 2004 10:56 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Dean,

Yeah, definitely a guide-book-o-maniac myself though most of our collection unfortunately does not go quite as far back (do have a couple of "classics" mostly on OR climbing that date back to late 70's/early 80's). Usually find that a guidebook precedes a climb idea for us (i.e. get a cool sounding guidebook, page thru. it and come up with some climbing/hiking plans).

Think it would be fun to do a climb together if you have time this summer Dean. I think you might have mentioned that Jefferson (OR) is on your list still? We've been thinking of trying that one (perhaps via Jeff. Park Glacier route.....that after seeing Fred's photo's of the route!). Think Brian Jenkins would also be interested in that one (could be an "SP outing":).

Radek

William Marler

William Marler - May 13, 2004 8:42 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great job. Cheers William

Derek Franzen

Derek Franzen - Jul 8, 2005 11:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Like all your other pages, this one is both interesting and informative.

Redwic

Redwic - Mar 31, 2009 10:59 am - Hasn't voted

Regarding your hyperlinks, and the trail...

How long is the trail, from the trailhead to the summit?
Is there a particular USGS map or Green Trails map to reference?

Also, some of the links provided on this SP page no longer work.

Dean

Dean - Mar 31, 2009 1:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Regarding your hyperlinks, and the trail...

The info on length is on the route page:
http://www.summitpost.org/route/162918/-old-stage-route-.html
There used to be topozone links that covered the page as well but both topozone and Fototime have been lost to me. I have had to start re working all the pages I have for the lost info and it is a pain in the a.. to do since I have so many pages to deal with. Regardless, I always appreciate the head's up on bad links.

So, its 3 miles from the TH to the summit and the elevation gain is 1650 feet.

Vic Hanson

Vic Hanson - Aug 16, 2012 8:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Cool down lap - 1

After 4 big glacier climbs, we hiked up Copper, no snow, just a quick 1 hr, 10 min to the summit, 50 min down.

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Return to 'Copper Butte' main page