Viewing: 1-20 of 31
12
Scott

Scott - Mar 20, 2005 11:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good page. I especially like the photo of the view of the Pickets. For a second there, I though someone added Elephant Butte, Utah. A completely different peak, but very interesting and scenic in a different way.

WarrenShoe - Jul 30, 2021 4:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Stetattle Ridge Route Report - July 24, 2021

The 'unmarked trail at 4300 ft.' mentioned in the description does not exist in summer 2021. We couldn't find it from the bottom or the top.
We followed the trail to the Sourdough Creek crossing, then 2 switchbacks further (5000 ft) and headed up the steep meadow, through some trees, and traversed in steep meadow to Sourdough Creek and then a tarn at 5900 ft. From here it's easy ridge running on intermittent path and rocks. Excellent campsites on top of one of the high points, about 6400 ft.
To continue - go to the foot of Stetattle Peak and traverse to left, stay high to avoid deep cut gullies. There are 2 more peaks on the ridge (not visible from camp), and a few water sources. When at the last peak, descend through meadows, rocks, trees, trending left, eventually find a path to finish the steep descent in trees to the notch at Elephant Butte.
From here it's a bushwhack to the tarn at 5135 ft. Traverse above the first cliff band, below the second. After the tarn it's open terrain with little brush.

Derek Franzen

Derek Franzen - Mar 20, 2005 11:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nicely writen page, neat photos.

The Lower Marmot

The Lower Marmot - Mar 20, 2005 11:33 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Your pages are exceptional!

Eric Sandbo

Eric Sandbo - Mar 25, 2005 3:09 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks! I live in what I feel is an exceptional region. Dragging a camera everywhere helps, too.

Dean

Dean - Mar 21, 2005 12:19 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page. Love those north cascades.

Eric Sandbo

Eric Sandbo - Mar 25, 2005 3:12 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote. I'm kinda partial to these mountains, too.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Mar 21, 2005 2:00 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Excellent page Eric! The tidbit about the cul-de-sac and non-hiker got me grinning. I remember when I first went to the Sierra I always wondered that aside from the picnic areas I wouldn't meet anybody. Or if I did he/she was German. Then we came across a family, clearly American, somewhere miles away from the next road. When they drew nearer, however, the mother greeted us in German - she had emigrated.



You'll see the same thing here of course, but it struck me that most people seemed to be content to stay close to the roads.

Johan Heersink

Johan Heersink - Mar 21, 2005 6:14 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page!

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Mar 21, 2005 10:17 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Talk about rugged scenery!!! PHEW!!! Very nicely done page and thanks for sharing!

-Britt

Eric Sandbo

Eric Sandbo - Mar 25, 2005 3:23 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote and the nice words. I've tweaked the page a bit since then. Klenke added a photo that shows the faulting so well, I made it the signature photo.

rpc

rpc - Mar 21, 2005 12:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Interesting addition and a very nice page.

Eric Sandbo

Eric Sandbo - Mar 25, 2005 3:25 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks. I hadn't realized how split with faults Elephant Butte is until I saw Klenke's photo from his September trip. I like it so much, it's the signature photo now.

WhiteLief

WhiteLief - Mar 21, 2005 10:11 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

very nice page

Eric Sandbo

Eric Sandbo - Mar 25, 2005 3:30 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for your vote and comment. Your member page says you're into long-distance backpacking. I think you'll be interested in the trekking guidebook plug I added at the bottom of my trip report for Elephant Butte.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Mar 22, 2005 6:51 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Washington has some of the most striking peaks I've seen here. Great summitpost!

Klenke

Klenke - Mar 22, 2005 12:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

A peak I failed on...twice...in one year...in 1998. Haven't been back since. Thanks for putting up the page. I'll add a number of photos today.



I created a Picket Range Group. Elephant Butte belongs in that group in my opinion. My cut-off is the notch at the head of Torrent Creek. Luna Peak also belongs in my opinion.



Corrections:

1. Pickets has only one "t"

2. Your commentary for Sourdough Ridge should probably be changed to Stetattle Ridge. Or you should at least meantion that Sourdough Ridge also goes by the name Stetattle Ridge. I believe Stetattle Ridge is the more accepted toponym. Note that this change would need to be made on your SE Ridge Route page too. On both Elephantine failures on my part, my partner Charlie & I summited Stetattle Ridge's highpoint (Pk 6728). This peak has over 1,700 feet of prominence. It's such a dominant feature it is A) a pity it isn't officially named and B) more important a summit than diminutive Sourdough Mountain. As such, Stetattle Ridge is better than Sourdough Ridge. Trivial note: Davis Peak used to be known as Stetattle Peak. Stetattle Peak or Butte might be a good name for Pk 6728.

3. You should put a note on the Main page somewhere cautioning against trying the route from the Stetattle Creek Trail. I remember the Stetattle Creek Trailhead sign warning that the trail "succumbs to the forest" in 3 miles. I can personally attest to this truth. Furthermore, when you get to the base of the mountain, the deep canyon of Torrent Creek gets in your way.

4. Sourdough misspelled in Books & Maps section.

Eric Sandbo

Eric Sandbo - Mar 22, 2005 3:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Good points. I've been spelling Picket with 2 t's all winter, and just noticed it a couple of nights ago. As for Stetattle Ridge, I saw the name in Beckey's book and thought it referred to the ridge from Elephant to McMillan Spires. His route description for Elephant is from the W, which would be that ridge. Anyway, thanks for the help, and I'll fix things up in a night or two.

Eric Sandbo

Eric Sandbo - Mar 25, 2005 3:40 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I tweaked the main page to accomodate your suggestions. Even gave one of your photos prominence, as it shows more of the mountain and illustrates the faulting better than any of mine. Thanks for the additions. I haven't edited the route desc. page yet.

Klenke

Klenke - Mar 26, 2005 1:17 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Saw the Butte today from NCH. You can see it quite well, actually, in two or three locations near the Pyramid Lake Trailhead. I didn't stop for a picture but one of these days I will.



I notice my picture (the signature one) has 220 hits. Geez. From who, where?

Viewing: 1-20 of 31
12
Return to 'Elephant Butte' main page