Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Klenke

Klenke - Jan 28, 2014 3:49 pm - Hasn't voted

We drove to the top on Jan. 4

Note that for the route from the west off of Finn Settlement Road that the gate was open for us on 1/4/14, so we drove up to the top. That would be a long way to bike and it would be a lot faster (2 hours r.t.) simply to hump up through the woods on the north slope to reach the top (provided one could find a suitable ingress point into the woods among the houses along the lakeshore.

Also, I'm going to forgo why I know this, but the road from the gate north of Mt. Cavanaugh that goes around its east side is NOT worth the effort. The road's creek crossing SE of Mt. Cavanaugh was a large pond (possibly formed by a beaver dam) and then beyond that the road has been ditch bermed every 100 yards or so. It is not at all conducive to bike travel. The road eventually connects up with the road from the west.

Lastly, Pt. 2721 should be visited in addition to 2722. The latter did not seem measurably higher than the former. The former is (currently until the loggers come) in the tall trees a little bit. Furthermore, we felt like the little hump a 100 yards to the west of 2722 (its location confirmed by GPS) was a tad higher than 2722.

kevinsa

kevinsa - Jan 28, 2014 4:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: We drove to the top on Jan. 4

I also had the idea of coming straight up from the lake, but could not find any good places to start that were not private property. I agree that the Mount Cavanaugh Road is no good - I ran into the same issues. Redwic says it is possible to do a walk-in from the west end of Lake Cavanaugh. I used to bike in from that road, but I don't think that works any more.

Klenke

Klenke - Jan 28, 2014 4:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: We drove to the top on Jan. 4

I think it's overkill to tell people to not be tempted to drive in past the gate. We did. And while we were in there there were several others who had done the same thing (they were hunting). So maybe it was a fluke, but maybe not.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Frailey Mountain' main page