Viewing: 1-10 of 10
kdonaldson

kdonaldson - May 13, 2002 1:04 pm - Voted 5/10

Untitled Comment

I am thinking about doing this mountain, but I am confused - your summit post has you summiting in a little over 2 hours. So you climbed 6000 vertical feet and over 7 miles in this time ? I also ready the article by C. Brennen and he suggest 11 hours. Your return time would be less than 4 hours assuming that you will decend even faster than you went up... Maybe some more information would be usefull in the overview section on how you managed this. Thanks.

RobertCharlesAltman

RobertCharlesAltman - May 19, 2002 5:22 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I'm sorry if I was't clear on the time it took me. I wrote:



My Summit Post:

It took me about 2 hours, 5 minutes from Heaton

Trail top to the summit ( time of day time).



The way the route goes is like this:



.5 mile from parking lot (East Fork Station) to trail (Heaton Trail at Heaton Flat).

5 miles on Heaton Trail from its bottom at Heaton Flat to the top of Heaton Trail (at Widman Ranch trail fork)

2.25 miles from the top of Heaton Trail (note my Summit Post written above) to the summit of Iron Mtn.



It took just over 2 hours from the top of Heaton Trail to the summit.

It takes about 2 hours to get from the car to the top of Heaton Trail.

So about 5 hours is reasonable. Perhaps with rests, both ways is about 10 hours.



A topo map will help visualize this distance. Try the "TOPOZONE MAP" link on the left menu on this page.

Huberschwiller

Huberschwiller - Jan 6, 2003 12:54 pm - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

Good page, good links !

stephenz

stephenz - Jan 7, 2003 3:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you very much for the 3 star vote. I'm constatly trying to make updates and improvments to this page and i appreciate that some one noticed.

songhiker

songhiker - Sep 24, 2003 2:21 pm - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

Excellent page! I've been wanting to do the Iron Mountain - Mt. Baldy traverse for a couple years now! I'm ready to do it now, but I'm afraid it'll be too hot (high 80's.. yuck)... I will most likely do it solo, so I'm wondering if you have any recommendations on getting back to my car (East Fork trailhead) after I hike down Mt. Baldy? That's my biggest dilemna... :) thanks for all the great info!!!

badalb

badalb - Dec 30, 2004 1:29 pm - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

This is a good description of the hike. I hiked it April '02 and it was a killer. I was inspired by the excellent trip report and photos by Charles Hayden at: http://chayden.net/Iron/Iron.html

I did the one day, in-and-out trip starting after sunrise and finishing in the dark. The terrain is pretty difficult and it took us almost as much time to come off the mountain as to climb it. This trip requires a lot of endurance and water. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WATER SOURCE along this hike. I packed four liters of water and a lunch, and still had to bum water off my friend and his son who were in better shape than I - and that was on a cool, overcast day in April. This hike would be downright dangerous in the summer. Besides the challenges, I enjoyed this hike so much that it is one of my favorite. The changes in elevation, vegitation, and the views are outstanding. One more tip, I was constantly removing rocks from my boots because of the loose dirt during the steep parts. My friend used trail gaitors and had no problems.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Jan 25, 2007 5:56 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Untitled Comment

Rob - Thanks for pointing these out. I've made the corrections.

KathyW - Apr 30, 2006 3:31 am - Voted 10/10

Just some advise

Please run your narrative through spell check and also capitalize the first letters in proper nouns such as San Gabriels.

TheGoat

TheGoat - Mar 21, 2009 3:32 pm - Voted 10/10

very good article

As I'm sure you've heard, I just climbed this beast. I wanted to write an article about the mountain, but your article is so complete, there is no need! Great article.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Mar 21, 2009 10:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: very good article

Thanks Goat. And good job.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Iron Mountain #1' main page