Kneiff Comments

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
markhallam

markhallam - Apr 5, 2017 3:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Congratulations Sir!

Good thing you trained on high points like Huascaran and the Dufourspitz. Now I recognise that all those Andean 6000ers and Alpine 4000ers were leading you up to this... No, seriously you sound like you deserve a medal for doing the research just to find the place. So did you actually complete all the Europe high points in 2016? Don't recall you ever mentioning Gross Glockner or Zugspitz... and you better hurry up and climb Ben Nevis if you haven't done already (again don't recall you mentioning it, but you climbed a few others in Scotland so surprised if you missed it out)You did climb Scafell - but what about Snowdon?
bw Mark

rgg

rgg - Apr 6, 2017 5:21 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Congratulations Sir!

Luxembourg isn't the only country where finding the exact highpoint is the hardest part; there are several countries with similar problems. In fact, highpointing is much more about visiting places and learning about them than about technical climbing. Maybe I'm not a complete Philistine after all ;-)

Looking back, Kneiff was the fifth European country highpoint I visited. Although not really a highpointer yet, at least not in my mind, the seed must have been there already for I was curious enough to do the research before going to Luxembourg.

Only since deciding to go for all European country highpoints did I start researching and compiling my list. There is no generally accepted one, so there are some choices to be made. My provisional list has 49 countries (and 14 other interesting highpoints) and so far I've ticked off 19 of the 49. I'm in no hurry to complete, I'll just see how it goes and enjoy the experience. Only if I get real close do I expect to pick up the pace.

As for the British highpoints? I've been to Ben Nevis and Scafell Pike, but not yet to Snowdon. Scafell Pike and Snowdown are two of the "other 14". Should Scotland become independent, that will change of course, but regardless of that I want to explore Snowdonia some day.

markhallam

markhallam - Apr 6, 2017 5:39 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Congratulations Sir!

Oh, you have a long way to go then! Let me know when you want to explore Snowdonia. I cut my mountaineering teeth there in the 1960's and used to know the area well - but am long overdue a visit.
BTW I have now posted a TR on a recent Glen Affric trip. Do have a look and you can renew your acquaintanceship with... (deep breath) Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan (pronounced Skooth nun Terrorvun!)
bw Mark

rgg

rgg - Apr 6, 2017 6:55 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Congratulations Sir!

I already started reading about your latest exploits, but it's long so it takes time. I actually traversed Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan, crossing over from east to west, but in May that would always be a lot easier than in March. There was snow up there, but nothing serious. I remember it as a hike, not an alpine climb. Very different from your experience.

As for Snowdonia: I reckon that spring is the best time for that, with the days getting longer but still too cold for the midges. This spring I've got other plans, so it won't happen in 2017. But that leaves plenty of years in the future, right?

markhallam

markhallam - Apr 6, 2017 4:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Congratulations Sir!

Yes the TR is quite long - but not as long as the Alps International Expedition TR's. Thanks for the vote. Watch this space, I have two more trips planned this year...
Yes agreed Spring - or even Autumn for Snowdonia. I have discovered a late passion for Autumn colours, in part due my recent swimming experiences in that season. Yes plenty of years in the future - but give me some warning and I'll come and join you.
So what are your plans this year?

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Kneiff' main page